A Theraml Imaging Camera For Less than £6,000

Marcus B-T

I think all decay detection measures have their limitations and while I've no experience of this, it seems as though the results would be at best difficult to interpret. I would also love to see some pictures, preferably with a real life cross section of the same stem.

We have around 500 examples of trees cut down after a thermal image was taken, most on development sites and the like and around an extra 12,000 where increment core samples were taken and evaluated. I am just putting together a new pdf to put a bit more context into what we have done and what we hope to achieve. The term decay detection is a bit old hat and the whole process is more than just this, if you look at some of the other postings on how fugi and trees interact you will understand why I am making such a bold statement. More importantly thermal imaging (because it measures physiological response) measures functional wood not just sound wood so you understand the physiological status of the tree and how it will respond in the future. The technology does of course have its limits like all technology, but so does VTA and anything in life for that matter. Regarding the complexity of interpretation, we have a full training scheme and cpd scheme to help people with this. We do not just sell the cameras and dump you in the mire. One long-standing consultant who does not want to be named signed up for the training scheme because he wanted the training and is quite happy for us to do the thermal imaging on his behalf. Not what we set out to do but there you go. As I said we have made a great deal of progess over the last 4 years so it is probably time to update the information we have out there.

" Regarding the complexity of interpretation, we have a full training scheme and cpd scheme to help people with this..... "

I thought that I'd read your training scheme was offline atm to any but those already trained by you....

" We do not just sell the cameras and dump you in the mire...."

I should hope not; this would be a recipe for disaster for all concerned I fear.

Was recently in conversation with an LA bod who was blissfully unaware of the cameras' capabilities., preferring instead to put his money on the PICUS ....

The training seesions are continuing until End April then they will be offline until the end of the year. The posting I gave out earlier was because some people thought they were already off line. Also a warning to those who keep postponing. We still have a few places left.

im told the infra red camera is the only truely uninvasive method except the visual, they can even check the roots for rot etc as the rotting roots create heat different from the normal average tree.

i got my information from a surveyor in scotland who has a picus tomograph