Caving rope for tree climbing

Rowden the cowboy

Hmmm intresting, I have Mammut powerstatic 10mm as my access line its the most static if i remember right in their range at 3.5% ish.

Static ropes have to be within 3.5% and 4.5% for CE ratings i believe, now correct if i'm wrong but good climbing rope is around 3.5-5% elongation.

Basically my point is that my mammut stretched out over the same distance as my new england tacyhon has about the same amount of give that i can tell, if anything the tachyon maybe even less stretchy/more static.

Low stretch is a good thing for me, it helps me to climb easier, and as i'm never in a fall situation! i'm not worried about the shock absorbtion properties of rope.

And for the record i wouldn't climb with the mammut, proper tree climbing rope is much nicer and fit for purpose.

Edited by Marc

what ohh chaps and chapesses how are we all??

Mamut make good rope, so do edelrid and a number of others including beal, there are a couple of things hear, the point MARC makes is spot on, that is the elongation of circa 3% is corretc for 'low stretch ropes' whitch are what we all climb on there are a couple of ce marks for it one industrial one sport both very similar. i have an edelrid and a beal that i se for access and rescue, but not genneral tree climbing as the point bob makes is spot on. thes ropes are largly designed to work with 'gear' not jus friction nots, they also do not have good abrasion properties like tree climbing rope.

so if it is ce1891 its fine for work but you will find it will not behave or wear well.

just as case and point, beal make a very commonlu used rope in rope access called antiperdies, good standard stuff, they then tryed making boba and bonsi as tree climbing rope, both 1891 standard, both pass the same knotability abrasion and strength tests but there tree ropes are not good at all. this is because the recognise the wear dirt etc they are exposed to are differant in trees and tryed to componsate.

so legally there is nothing to stop you directly as long as it is 1891 standard but you will probably end up bying moor rope than if you had bough a proper rope.

as for the comment about being taught the differance of rope on a NPTC cource all that is expected is knowing about what is fit for purpose ie the CE marking and some rope terms

hope that helps

kevin

kevin, as i remember my insructer back then went in depth regarding the the differance in rope types ie for tree work & for rock climbing, this may of been before your time & may not be part of modern nptc training but its food for thought ?

Rock climbing rope is far to stretchy its for absorbing shock not carrying loads like a climbers weight, static line as used in caving and industrial rope acces is suitable for tree work as an srt line just not suitable for a climbing system and is part of modern arb work.