Wood Store Question - Newbie

Burley

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Burley I had a shed to start with, and even with the ventilation and the doors left open, the logs went mouldy, mind you it was stacked to the apex, and the shed was 6ft x 6ft x 6ft

so I recycled some pallets (free ) from a local builders merchants

D9F99203-CBF3-49E0-89A0-2D61B12550FA-3067-0000061E64228143_zps30b25dd4.jpg

I've since built 5 of them each holding 1.6 m3, logs have dried nicely this summer

Edited by Brian S

In a minute you'll be prosecuted by the Worshipful Company of Shed Manufacturers for continuing to call a pile of scrapped softwood a 'shed' :blushing:

Shed now it 'aint :001_huh:

Scrap this pile and put your wood on pallets with a lid on. It'll look nicer too

LOL !!

yup - it's now called a Holy shed! :001_cool:

Burley I had a shed to start with, and even with the ventilation and the doors left open, the logs went mouldy, mind you it was stacked to the apex, and the shed was 6ft x 6ft x 6ft

so I recycled some pallets (free ) from a local builders merchants

D9F99203-CBF3-49E0-89A0-2D61B12550FA-3067-0000061E64228143_zps30b25dd4.jpg

I've since built 5 of them each holding 1.6 m3, logs have dried nicely this summer

Brian those look stunning! gone green this side of the screen. Care to share your plans for those stunners? Dimensions, how you tied it all together? I would love to have a go at making something like that, and can get pallets I think. Been offered a pile of them...

If you go to your local garden centre they may have wooden crates that they have plants delivered in. Turn them on their side, put some ply on as a roof and felt. [ATTACH]134905[/ATTACH]

Sent from my iPad using Arbtalk mobile app

Those look good, easy too! Never seen crates like that around our area though, pallets yes. But when I looked at a pallet could not figure out how to tie them together end on end.

But the image from Brian shows he dismantled the pallets to use, I think.

If you can cut some 4x4 posts across the diagonal they form nice bracers to secure the pallets together. Both sides top and bottom. Then felt the roof and off you go. I've even used spare artificial turf to give it the green look. Doesn't need mowing either!

You could also just adapt crates that paving comes in, they are easy and can be placed on top of each other, solid and will never rot.

Sent from my iPad using Arbtalk mobile app

But what about rotting on the bottoms? I originally thought banging wood onto pallet bases, but when the pallet rots, the whole shed needs replacing. The alternative was to dig holes and bed in 4x4 into concrete, but that's a lot of work, in a clay soil that I have !

No plans as such, just an idea.

6 pallets 4, 7ft 3x2s and 2 4ft 3x2 sheet of Sterling board, some 2x1 batten, roofing felt, fence stain

Have a good look at the pallets and make sure you can take the bottom off without destroying the top (these are the ones to use

Put one whole pallet as the base, then cut 2 of the tops of the pallets to the width of the base ( slats horizontal ) have to take off and move one of the tie slats

Screw those to the sides of the base pallet and screw a 7ft 3x2 on either side at the back to the side panels, cut the other 2, 4" to 6" shorter (to allow fall on roof) and screw those to the front on either side.

Screw another top of a pallet across the bottom at the back to the 2 back uprights

Then repeat for the next layer up on the sides and back.

Cut the 2 4ft 3x2 to fit between the uprights at the back and front, put some 2x1 front to back like rafters

Cut sterling board and fix for roof, cover with felt

That's what I did :001_smile: you will probably see an easier better method:thumbup1:

Good luck:thumbup1:

No plans as such, just an idea.

6 pallets 4, 7ft 3x2s and 2 4ft 3x2 sheet of Sterling board, some 2x1 batten, roofing felt, fence stain

Have a good look at the pallets and make sure you can take the bottom off without destroying the top (these are the ones to use

Put one whole pallet as the base, then cut 2 of the tops of the pallets to the width of the base ( slats horizontal ) have to take off and move one of the tie slats

Screw those to the sides of the base pallet and screw a 7ft 3x2 on either side at the back to the side panels, cut the other 2, 4" to 6" shorter (to allow fall on roof) and screw those to the front on either side.

Screw another top of a pallet across the bottom at the back to the 2 back uprights

Then repeat for the next layer up on the sides and back.

Cut the 2 4ft 3x2 to fit between the uprights at the back and front, put some 2x1 front to back like rafters

Cut sterling board and fix for roof, cover with felt

That's what I did :001_smile: you will probably see an easier better method:thumbup1:

Good luck:thumbup1:

Okay, lemmie try digest that ... and figure if this is a 2man build or a chick can manage alone. Think you would need someone to help hold things in place whilst screwing the pallets to one another, correct?

Some scrap lumbar I got from a building site had these metal spiked plates that seemed to be tying the timbers together, could I use that?

Band the walls together flat on the ground to side posts, then lift a whole wall and mount to pallet base, again with one of those handy plate things?