Husqvarna 257XP

Dorset Treeman

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea I always wondered why there was no "XP" on the starter housing . bit like the old 365 ( pre special and pre X torque )

Sort of. The non-xp status can be illutrated by the fact that the max power rating is lower than for the smaller 254xp, as is the rpm.

It is still a good saw of high quality - just not an xp. :wink:

I thought the 257 was the non xp version of the 254xp (basicly the same but not so high performance). I also recall there was one type with a plastic clutch cover and one with a magnesium cover, so if you get a replacement make sure its the right one.

The 254 (and the original 154) have a crank with a shorter rod than the larger saws in that "family", and the cylinder base is lower in the case (the stoke is the same 34mm though).

The clutch covers were plastic up to a point aropund the mid 1990s, and then became magnesium, regardless of exact model. On a used saw, it could of course have been changed at some point.

• 10 months later...
Does anyone know if the clutch cover/chainbrake assembly from a husky 262 xp (part number 503 70 42 - finishing on eBay Saturday night) is likely to fit my 257 (part number 503 74 70-72) as it has been advertised as for 257/261/262 - thanks.

You are missing a couple of digits from the first part number.

Lots of the 257 262 clutch covers do cross over with each other but it also looks like there are a lot different part numbers and designs.

Your part number will fit these saws.

262.jpg.3c2fa705246227f579b38efc76fe7fee.jpg

Do you have any other info on what year saw the part is off?

You are missing a couple of digits from the first part number.

Lots of the 257 262 clutch covers do cross over with each other but it also looks like there are a lot different part numbers and designs.

Your part number will fit these saws.

[ATTACH]161936[/ATTACH]

Do you have any other info on what year saw the part is off?

The 257 was given to me so don't know the year and I will contact the eBay seller to see if I can find out what year the 262XP was that the part is coming off.

It looks like there are only two variations so there is a good chance it will fit, but dont take my word for it:laugh1:

This is the other and older design.

2.jpg.dcaad7894a6dc3ca6f1892a4290f37b1.jpg

I didnt see your original post, as others have said it probably just needs cleaning out, maybe the odd new part but TBH you wouldnt need a whole clutch cover unless the actual cover itself is badly damaged.