Best Saw advise

NickyG

My husky 435 has just died. I'm looking to replace it with a better saw, i've been looking and there are a mind boggling array of saws out there. So my question is for felling small to medium size trees and cutting firewood what is a quality saw without going ott. I've been looking at an Echo 550 and 600.

Hope my question doesn't sound to amateur but i don't want to get stung by buying a supposedly quality saw.

Any advise much appreciated

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, the echo 500 looks great. My local dealer doesnt stock it only the 450 and 550. BTW I'm fairly novice ( as you can tell ) what is the benefit of modifying the muffler, i hear lots of people mentioning this.

I'm really hooked on this site, some great info and advise that isn't available anywhere else!

The 550xp is an excellent saw. The Echo would need the muff mod to keep up. However the Echo also weighs nearly 1.5 lbs less than the 550xp, which is really where it shines. Another saw to consider is the new 261C-M which just came out(M-Tronic). It is a VERY strong saw, but heavier still than the 550, and likely more expensive. You could not go wrong with any of these saws. They are all quality professional models that will last a long time with proper care.

Modding the muffler simply allows the engine to breathe better - it becomes more efficient. Unlike most other saws, though, the Echo is literally designed to have the muffler modded - it is simply a tube insert that pulls out with only a screwdriver. The 450 is a good saw, but you will get a better value in a 50cc chainsaw. If your 435 has been working fine for you, any 50cc professional saw like a 500ES/261 C-M, 550XP, 346XP, will get the job done better and last.

Edited by wyk

Thanks folks, really helpful feedback.:thumbup:

I'm using the saw quite intensively for short bursts of a few days, then away again for a week or so, throughout the year.

I'm definitely leaning toward the 550XP at the moment, the only thing bothering me is that a) i'd need to buy it online b) there nearest dealer is 70 miles away, and i'm thinking with such a modern saw dealer help would be handy.

I have stihl and Echo dealers close by.

The new Stihl is just outside my wallet's reach ( and within the wife's punch radius ), although it does look very similar to the 550XP.

Decisions, decisions! I'm without any saw at the moment and i feel like i've lost a limb!