Rec. climbing Hampshire

KerryL

Depending on who turns up a range of harnesses although a couple a bit big but mostly tree motion all medium sized set up and lockjack,spider jack, prussic and i got srt but still new to me after 13 years of ddrt would like abit of pratice with srt which i dont get time to because im full time subbing. Some of the guys have PL as they have there own tree business, im sure i can ask them to alderbury especially to the three crowns pub, weekends can be busy with work so like i said depends on whos about.

Got another beginner climber from botley thats got a big garden and some oaks whos up for a rec climb maybe at his, he did mention it in conversation today.

Me and my mates have tickets all the way from cs30 to cs41 the other couple of guys upto cs39

Edited by jarno
Extra ticket info

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm hoping to catch up with the rangers in the country park where I work to see how this could work too, there's a couple of nice beeches that I want to climb ! I'm only a beginner just looking at getting my first rope - probably a yale xtc plus ?! and prussaks to help build up confidence ! I've not got any tickets in tree climbing but bat rock climbing tickets so not a real novice with ropes ! not got any insurance either but would be willing to sign a waiver to relieve any land owner etc.

Hi all, I'm senior ranger for manor farm and royal vic so will ask the bosses for there thoughts on the idea, no doubt insurance/liability will come into it. As would the need to identify areas or individual trees that are not sensitive in any way i.e bats etc.....but if you could all dead wood above the paths etc I'd be most happy!

Hi talismanfisher, I work down at the qe2 centre in manor farm, I spoke to Alex and co this morning about climbing in the park ! been given Dave's email to contact him, obviously as the park is relatively busy at times it would be a matter of finding a quieter area away from the dog walkers ! It's a real shame that insurance and liability has to come into the situation when this is being done for recreation !

As with all things in local authority it's always the "what if" "who's to blame" issue!

If HCC were to knowingly allow any activity to be undertaken in its land without due consideration and something bad happens then there is a risk of contributory negligence being brought up!

I'd like to say that Talismanfisher is my real name but sadly I am Dave! Drop me an email and we'll start thinking of what may be achieved.

Good on you guys! Rec climbing is the best way to really improve as a climber. Don't be shy, speak to everyone on the day and see what they climb with, it's a fantastic way to widen your knowledge of what gear is out there and don't be afraid to ask for a climb on someones kit, they can only say no but most climbers will welcome your passion. I try to get out recreationally at least a few times a week, sometimes I will do comp style runs, sometimes I'll practice footlocking/throwlining, sometimes I'll spend most of my time chatting and playing with new ideas - rec climbing is your time to focus on your personal goals as an arborist, make it count!

Right, spoke to my boss (Alderbury) and, provisionally he's ok with it. His only concern is that a load of traveller types will turn up, oggle his kit and come back later. So, to that end, I thought I'd make a wee questionnaire for people to fill in to winnow out the nefarious element. It's multiple choice, don't worry!

1. To prune a tree branch correctly you...
    • A - Cut to the node
    • B - Cut just above the collar of a node
      • C - Leave all limbs sawn well out from the stem

[*]The three causes where you can appeal a TPO are...

• A - DDD
  • B - ADHD
  • C - DD (Big ones)

[*]The best place to leave brash after a job is...

• A - At site
  • B - In a little known side road or track
  • C - At a tip site or your own yard

Answers on a postcard. Send to Blue Peter, BBC studios, Salford

PM me some contact details if interested. Cheers, Rhob

• 2 weeks later...

Well that last post went down like a lead balloon...:blushing:

Have found this climbing waiver in lawspeak (pdf attached). It seems pretty good, even though it's written for Kansas, USA. Re-written with a few changes and should be good to put into use, no? Let me know if you think it's sufficient/overkill.

Essentially the 2nd guy in Timsbury near Romsey i've asked is that we sign a waiver and have our own personal accident and PL insurance. Shouldn't be a problem for most, except the beginners. He'd also be happy if we did some minor works to the trees we're climbing on - limbing over tracks or deadwooding etc. Anyone interested? PM or reply to this thread.

Release Waiver-PDF.pdf

• 1 month later...

Anyone up for a rec climb this weekend? Meet Saturday or Sunday at SP5 2DU, around 9.30am(negotiable). Weather looks fine but cold. In a massive woodland - plenty of variety to choose from. Limited car parking near the wood and around 1/2mi gear carrying. PM or reply to this thread.

Rhob