advice on the arb association

d-raittuk

how hard is it to become AA approved i don't mind working hard for it getting my head in the books as it were if its worth while

There's quite a bit involved with being a AAAC depending on you size of company..less than 5 is micro business but that still involves going through how you run your buisness, regulations ect, I think it's a 1 day assessment for micro buisness and they want to see you dismantling a 15m plus specimen with rigging, they also want to see a tree that you have lightly reduced, and one that you have thinned !! . Also they will want to see a tree that you have planted in the last year or so, and looots on how you control your admin. Have a look at the AA Site they run preparation workshops ( very useful) all over the country which a very nice man Paul Smith will tell you what you need to do,.

AAAC doesn't get you work but it certainly opens some doors for your business !!

You also get the CHAS certification as part of the assessment (£60 I think) !!

Hope that helps :))

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From an earlier post you may struggle as you have to be running as an entity for two years - no exceptions, doesn't matter how right you are:thumbdown:

yer i totally get why well i will have to wait 2 years or get the old feller whos been doing it for over 30 years to get his head bk in the books lol looks like will be waiting 2 years :lol:

There's quite a bit involved with being a AAAC depending on you size of company..less than 5 is micro business but that still involves going through how you run your buisness, regulations ect, I think it's a 1 day assessment for micro buisness and they want to see you dismantling a 15m plus specimen with rigging, they also want to see a tree that you have lightly reduced, and one that you have thinned !! . Also they will want to see a tree that you have planted in the last year or so, and looots on how you control your admin. Have a look at the AA Site they run preparation workshops ( very useful) all over the country which a very nice man Paul Smith will tell you what you need to do,.

AAAC doesn't get you work but it certainly opens some doors for your business !!

i am av recently qualified and gone into partnership

Herein lies the problem - AAAC is black and white box ticking, not looking at whether you're good enough or not.

thanks very helpful mate. well even if i do the workshop once maybe twice to stand me in good stead for the future as i will be due to take over the family business in the next few years. and its more for personal development i have a lot to learn and a long way to go so any course, experience and information i can get the better thanks for your time .

Herein lies the problem - AAAC is black and white box ticking, not looking at whether you're good enough or not.

arbtec i understand what youre saying isnt alot of it "box ticking" but if you want the right "qualifications" you need to go through the necessary bull/ i know that in the real world its all about the experience i am yet to get all the years of experience of the old an bold just think it will be better to have both stay educated so to speak :thumbup1:

arbtec i understand what youre saying isnt alot of it "box ticking" but if you want the right "qualifications" you need to go through the necessary bull/ i know that in the real world its all about the experience i am yet to get all the years of experience of the old an bold just think it will be better to have both stay educated so to speak :thumbup1:

AAAC is not a qualification, nor does it educate you, it is merely accreditation (which i agree with and seek to achieve), it just p.sses me off that despite upholding the highest standards since 1987, the fact that i have incorporated a Limited Company that has been trading for less than two years it is unobtainable.....

Regards,

Steve.

AAAC is not a qualification, nor does it educate you, it is merely accreditation (which i agree with and seek to achieve), it just p.sses me off that despite upholding the highest standards since 1987, the fact that i have incorporated a Limited Company that has been trading for less than two years it is unobtainable.....

Regards,

Steve.

Hi Steve, seems there's a bit of misunderstanding here.

Firstly the min. 2 years trading is an 'absolute' which isn't negotiable I'm afraid. It's there to protect established businesses, i.e. 2 years and over who can access the scheme, from those less scrupulous ones who may view things very short term and damage the industries reputation in the process. Further, and perhaps ore importantly, it is a demonstration of client commitment that you will be there tomorrow, next month, next year if things go wrong (unlikely of course :001_smile:)

Secondly, if you have simply changed your business status from, for instance, 'sole trader' to limited company, provided you can demonstrate continuity of service then we can take account of your previous trading years counting them towards the 2 year threshold. (This would not however include a 'freelance' arborist who has only worked for other businesses as they wouldn't have the necessary customer relations / commitment history.)

Thirdly, please be assured, and I hope there are some out there who will confirm this, the ArbAC process isn't simply "black and white box ticking", albeit inevitably there is some of that involved, and it absolutely does look at whether 'you', and indeed the business as a whole, is "good enough or not." Over the past two years we have had a number of larger business with ISO's galore and who tick all the compliance boxes fail the ArbAC process as they need to both "talk the talk" AND, more importantly, "walk the walk."

Please reply, and/or call / 'pm' me should you wish to discuss your particular circumstances.

Thanks for your time n apologies for the verbose post.

Cheers..

Paul

Edited by AA Teccie (Paul)

Hi there,

I would strongly advise you start the process of preparation for ARB Approved Contractor (ArbAC) as soon as possible and the more the necessary 'systems and procedures' are embedded, AND please don't be put off by this as it's very much "horses for courses" here, the better placed the business will be to achieve FULL approval.

Also, I'm sure if you speak to most contractors who've gone through the process of both preparation, including attendance at a 'prep workshop' (often FoC), and assessment, they will tell you it has been educational.

The next ones are:

- Bristol on 19th September (FoC)

- Winchester on 2nd October (FoC)

- Leicester on 9th October (£50+VAT, but refunded on application)

Please do get in touch should you wish to know more.

Cheers..

Paul