rope wrench spiderjack combo?

Not a great picture as you cant see it running through thimble and my tether is got great but seems to work for the moment. A little refining like all these things.

Cant paste an image so its an instagram link. Will get arbtalk app on my phone and try again

Instagram

Thank you thats thee first actual picture ive seen :) found any flaws?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The SJ's self tending that everybody thinks of when using DdRT is lost when transferred to SRTWP - as you're almost never pulling yourself up on the rope above the device.

Most of the time you're pulling the rope through the device from below, so self tending isn't a factor that comes into it.

The zero sitback, however, does.

The only time that self tending really comes in to play is when you're working a dense crown with a ladder like branch structure - if you clip on your chest harness/bungee/neck loop and just climb the tree, the rope falls straight through the device.

I haven't used a SJ / RW combo, I have a knut tuned so that it has almost zero sitback and will fall through when climbing as I just mentioned.

Just something to think about.

The other question is - what is the SJ rated to, load wise?

Obviously it is designed to hold one half of the load (when used DdRT), so putting a full load on the attachment point seems a little dodgy (as in SRTWP), but I'm sure I've seen some drop tests on here that show it holding up?

The SJ's self tending that everybody thinks of when using DdRT is lost when transferred to SRTWP - as you're almost never pulling yourself up on the rope above the device.

Most of the time you're pulling the rope through the device from below, so self tending isn't a factor that comes into it.

The zero sitback, however, does.

The only time that self tending really comes in to play is when you're working a dense crown with a ladder like branch structure - if you clip on your chest harness/bungee/neck loop and just climb the tree, the rope falls straight through the device.

I haven't used a SJ / RW combo, I have a knut tuned so that it has almost zero sitback and will fall through when climbing as I just mentioned.

Just something to think about.

The other question is - what is the SJ rated to, load wise?

Obviously it is designed to hold one half of the load (when used DdRT), so putting a full load on the attachment point seems a little dodgy (as in SRTWP), but I'm sure I've seen some drop tests on here that show it holding up?

I can do this with my vt/rw but not really refined, the unicender in my eyes is the king on self tending. I might be wrong but i think the rw takes more than 50% of the weight off the hitch/ sj/lj???

The testing was with the lj, i cant see the sj's results varying that much

The only thing that can be a pain is on frog walk if the sj catches wrong it needs adjustment or it won't tend but that could be my chest clip was naff. Like arron said I would have thought the rw will remove some of the weight on the sj but does get me thinking about its weight limits

The only thing that can be a pain is on frog walk if the sj catches wrong it needs adjustment or it won't tend but that could be my chest clip was naff. Like arron said I would have thought the rw will remove some of the weight on the sj but does get me thinking about its weight limits

Sounds alright to me I dont use the frog walker system :001_smile:, Im sure someone on here know the % of weight the ropewrench takes of off your hitch/lj/spiderjack :thumbup1:

Thanks for the answers people. I just bought a rope wrench :biggrin:

goodluck, its different but worth the time spend getting used to it. Use it solidly for a month (if you can get away with being a bit slower to start with at work) and you will never go back :)