STIHL MS211 questions

d-raittuk

ok people need a new ground saw am thinking MS211 with a 16 inch bar. reason for this is we had a cheap 181 in use by the groundeys its not been looked after to a high standard like the more expensive saws and the top handles. but its never missed a beat and its done a hell of alot of work and felling its massively made its money and av used it in a tree a few times only thing i find its a bit gutless when cutting through big stuff on the ground but to be expected. so if i was to get a 211 as an upgrade and have it as a day to day saw rather than the runt of the litter? whats peoples thought on it? thanks

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How much of an upgrade is it you want? Its only something like a 0.2hp more than a 181. If your 181 has a 14" bar? and the 211 a 16" I would think it will cut at the same speed pretty much and wouldn't put my money which would be faster.

On the other hand if its a new saw just for reliability issues etc your after get the 211 for the sake of the extra £30 over a new 181..

Chances are you will sell the 181 for nearly 1/2 the price of a new 211 anyway.

You can get cheaper 211's than that without a deal is it the 211 or 211c-be you after?

http://www.radmoretucker.co.uk/category/Petrol_Chainsaws/?page=2

If you can afford to go to the 230 its got noticeable poke. Its the same saw as the 211 but just a 4mm longer con rod that makes the world of difference. Further down the line if you want you can turn it into the 250 just by changing the piston/cylinder if you wore it out or do a piston in.

I love the little 230. My saws in that range ive also got an 024/240 and a 026/260 but for some "fun" reason like to use the 230 for small stuff.

Im a stihl person on the smaller saws, the reason if it needs a top end then its sensible money, do it with a husky and its cheaper to throw the saw and buy a new one... Not knocking them just the cost of spares is so much more and not so quickly obtainable.

How much of an upgrade is it you want? Its only something like a 0.2hp more than a 181. If your 181 has a 14" bar? and the 211 a 16" I would think it will cut at the same speed pretty much and wouldn't put my money which would be faster.

On the other hand if its a new saw just for reliability issues etc your after get the 211 for the sake of the extra £30 over a new 181..

Chances are you will sell the 181 for nearly 1/2 the price of a new 211 anyway.

You can get cheaper 211's than that without a deal is it the 211 or 211c-be you after?

Chainsaws / Petrol Chainsaws

its just the 211 what's the difference

The 211 c-be has easy start (ergostart) and quick chain tensioning but I certainly wouldn't pay the extra for it. Not like a 211 is going to be hard to start and the fancy tensioner is just something else to go wrong in my eyes.

oh is that all the difference is ?stick to the standard one lol so you think £306 is a bit steep then ?