Bleeding canker in chestnut

Stephen Blair

found this the other day, we are loosing lots to this and leaf minor up our way.you can pretty much watch it oozing out. this is on a tree where i used to gather conkers with my dad, it is where i grew up, he was the head groundsman. really sad to think i wont be taking my boys there in the near future.:sad:is there anything i could do to help this tree?

597653efd2c55_farmbeeches2007.jpg.08fa38e5a0f391779092848ae6864278.jpg

found this the other day, we are loosing lots to this and leaf minor up our way.you can pretty much watch it oozing out. this is on a tree where i used to gather conkers with my dad, it is where i grew up, he was the head groundsman. really sad to think i wont be taking my boys there in the near future.:sad:is there anything i could do to help this tree?

I heard recently that the Goverment have told Scientists to not bother with any remedial work towards HC, as they have written it off in terms of it being a landscape feature within the next forty years.

I've had a feeling for a while that this is a tad strong, and have now heard it from both Arborjet in the States and Glyn Percival from Bartletts here in Blighty, that Psuedomonas is treatable.

Chemical bark sprays, sapwood injections etc.......

As for Cameraria (leaf miner) it is as far as I can see, predominantly an aesthetical issue, as the Trees get the majority of their annual energy needs from photosynthesis early on in Spring, before the second, third or forth wave of larvae take hold and diminish the leaves ability to work efficiently.

Having said this, the stress this puts on to HC's could result and possibly lead to secondary infections.

Green lace wings are the answer apparantly. They'll eat any and everything in their path :scared1:

i have seen hc trees loose their bark while still in leaf, the idea that the minor just eats the leaves, and everything is ok, is so wrong. i will go and take pics for you this weekend dave, trees that 100% healthy last year, are stone dead, with no signs of bleedin cankor. i took my first hc, down over 6 years ago suffering from leafminor, and it was 8 years ago i saw the first signs of it. they are terrible to work on, dead hc is really brittol. the bark can lift off in 8feet lenghts no bother.

Steve it wouldn't be the leaf minor that has killed the HC you took down.

They were first recorded in the Uk in Wimbledon/London in 2001/2002.

It's highly unlikely that the spread would of got to you as quick as you suggest.

Possibly could of been Guignardia leaf blotch which has similar symptoms, but again I don't think even this would have killed your Tree.

You say there were no lesions, could it have possibly been Armillaria/Honey fungus?

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/fr/INFD-68JJRC

http://www.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/Profile.aspx?pid=200

http://www.forestresearch.gov.uk/fr/INFD-6KYBGV

Look forward to the photos :001_smile:

Edited by Monkey-D

Steve it wouldn't be the leaf minor that has killed the HC you took down.

They were first recorded in the Uk in Wimbledon/London in 2001/2002.

It's highly unlikely that the spread would of got to you as quick as you suggest.

Possibly could of been Guignardia leaf blotch which has similar symptoms, but again I don't think even this would have killed your Tree.

You say there were no lesions, could it have possibly been Armillaria/Honey fungus?

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/fr/INFD-68JJRC

http://www.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/Profile.aspx?pid=200

http://www.forestresearch.gov.uk/fr/INFD-6KYBGV

Look forward to the photos :001_smile:

maybe it started here and made its way down to you dave. i live in a very tree neglected part of the world, every hc i have taken down that has died has been with leaf minor(you cant mistake the white sick looking larvae on the underside) we dont have anyone monitering our trees, i emailed someone down south years ago and got no reply. the last time the town up the road got its street trees done, they just left the dead elms and dead hc standing, until the year later they got taken down. even if my diagnosis is wrong, there is something killing our horse chestnuts within a year. i took this today, while out and about. notice how the tree is coming into bud, yet i could of picked that whole piece of bark off in a oner on the stem.

597653f006a63_leafminor029.jpg.e15e8c34b615785f91028137cb8cded5.jpg

I heard recently that the Goverment have told Scientists to not bother with any remedial work towards HC, as they have written it off in terms of it being a landscape feature within the next forty years.

I've had a feeling for a while that this is a tad strong, and have now heard it from both Arborjet in the States and Glyn Percival from Bartletts here in Blighty, that Psuedomonas is treatable.

Chemical bark sprays, sapwood injections etc.......

Very interesting ...I've been trying to work out what was happening with this.

Disappointing to hear the Government stance but I guess typical of their attitude to anything political..or anything which may require them to do something which vaguely ressembles positive action.

Not sure if Bartletts chemicals are the way forward either!! I Do think though that we should be taking some action to preserve the Aesculus but then again it seems that more and more tree types are being affected by one type of pest or disease - especially bleeding types

It could be just my lack of inexperience and the new detail with which I look at things but generally tree vigour seems to be getting worse...to hot and not enough water in the Summer

Are there a few different things that are attacking the chestnuts ie , phytophra(sp), bleeding canker and bacterial bleeding canker or am I getting confused :confused1:

SWB looks like you have got some bad ass super nasty Scottish leaf minor (will be way tougher than the English equivalent :001_tongue:)

Consider.

What kind of environment is the tree in, one where a large proportion of the water is diverted away? One where there is an upper layer that is not very gas permiable, leading to a build up of CO2 and Ethylene?

Then think is this antagonistic to vascular infections?

Does this all weaken the tree?

Pests will now greatly diminish the vitality of the canopy.

Splits, canker and other internal rots will not repair themselves.

Tree done for.

(physiology is the key to all life)

Here endeth the lesson