Drivers CPC

Lee Winger

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anything over 3.5 ton is an hgv I have the 7.5 ton license.

Hi Lee..

Are you certain you have that right. 7490kgs used to be the cut-off off. for non-trailered vehicles.

I have had class one since late 70's so to say I havn't checked in a while would be an understatement!!!!

Steve

Who has ‘acquired rights’

You’ll have ‘acquired rights’ if you’re a:

lorry driver and got your vocational licence (C, C1, C+E and C1+E) before 10 September 2009

bus or coach driver and got your vocational licence (D, D1, D+E and D1+E) before 10 September 2008

Under a new European Union Directive, professional bus, coach and lorry drivers need to hold a Driver CPC in addition to a vocational driving licence. Any drivers of lorries over 3.5 tonnes and minibuses with 9 seats or more must obtain a Driver CPC.

New drivers obtain their Driver CPC by passing a series of initial qualification tests - theory and practical. This must then be followed by 35 hours of periodic training every five years if they want to keep their Driver CPC after that period.

Bus and coach drivers who hold a relevant vocational licence gained before 10 September 2008, and lorry drivers who obtained their licence before 10 September 2009, do not need to take the initial qualification. This is because they are deemed to hold 'acquired rights'. However, they will have to complete periodic training to keep their Driver CPC.

Driver CPC is valid for five years. New drivers who have qualified via the initial qualification route will receive a Driver Qualification Card (DQC), which they can show as proof that they hold Driver CPC. Existing drivers will receive their DQC when they have completed their 35 hours of periodic training. Their DQC will be valid till 9 September 2018 for PCV drivers and 9 September 2019 for LGV drivers. Holders of both licences will be covered by one DQC and only need to take 35 hours of periodic training in five years once. Also holders of both licences will have their DQC valid for all groups (HGV & PSV) till 9 September 2019

Hi Nick,

Having held my class one since before Maggie was in power, do you know when my aquired rights will run out and I must complete the driver CPC...... It rings in my mind this year????

Thank you and also to Lee for posting

Steve

Next year I think mate

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Sept 2014.

I am doing it, FWIW you can do one 7 CPC qualifying first aid refresher every year and that will give you 35 hours every 5 years.

If you've left it until now to start you may want to book a 35 hour block, uptake has been low up to now, next year or so is going to be a scrum.