Making a box

Vertigo Arb Ltd

Hey

Thinking of starting a new project while something else I'm doing is drying out.

The other half has a lot of watches ring etc so I'm going to make a box to put them in. Probably only made out of lime or something.

I'm going to chainsaw a cube out of the wood and use my little pocket planner (which I love) to create the desired effect. Then cut off the lid and then chisel out the middle to create the box.

I want the box to look rough, not badly made but like its been done with a draw knife is anyone knows the effect I mean?

Any tips before I start my project?

Thanks

If you can find a bit big enough, I would split it in half first, then chainsaw out the rest of your cube and use the cleft face as the top (tidied up as you see fit). That way, when you cut it off, you effectively have a quartersawn board as the lid, which will be least prone to warping.

Alec

If you can find a bit big enough, I would split it in half first, then chainsaw out the rest of your cube and use the cleft face as the top (tidied up as you see fit). That way, when you cut it off, you effectively have a quartersawn board as the lid, which will be least prone to warping.

Alec

Thanks for the advice mate.

I have bits big enough I was thinking about even making a chest out of some really dry wood. What wood would be best?

Thanks for the advice mate.

I have bits big enough I was thinking about even making a chest out of some really dry wood. What wood would be best?

Something you like the colour and grain of :001_smile:

Seriously, doesn't make much odds. I would avoid pine and spruce as there's a risk of resin pockets, ash and oak as you'll have a lot of end grain which may well split, and for ease of cutting I wouldn't use yew or elm, but a nice fruitwood such as pear or cherry, or sycamore/maple, or lime as you originally suggested (which is particularly stable and nice to carve) would probably do well. If the grain looks good you could oil or varnish it. If it's a bit boring then a simple stain before finishing will brighten it up a bit.

Alec

Made a few boxes/chests in the same way.

Get a good dry log, really dry. Use best lookin bark face as top to create treasure chest type round top. Use bandsaw to cut shape of chest around the top. Then use bandsaw to cut off lid. Use mortiser or chisel/drill to hollow out base and lid.attatch lid with hinges and attatch clasp etc.

Looks awesome when finished. Got one roughed out in workshop.will add picture soon to make clearer

James

The picture would be much appreciated!

I think I'm going to chisel the whole inside out because I enjoy it lol

Just depends on how big the box is I guess.

I want it fairly large I guess. I might make it out of ailanthus because I like the grain alot. Just have to check the moisture to check its dry!