stock fencing

can any one help please

i do a old guys land for him on a once a week basis he is a bit of a good life kinda guy nice enough just a bit nuts he is after some stock fencing putting up by me but i dont know how much to charge per metre for just labour can any one help please nice flat ground if thats any help

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just labour between £2-£2.50. I take it you are doing it by hand? if so it will take a bit longer so may be £3. this is for proper strainers and good tight netting and two strands of barb/plain

It all depends on the span too the longer it is the cheaper it is per meter. it doesn,t take me much longer to do a 100meter span then a 20meter span the reason being you still have to put in strainers/struts and go through the tensioning process so really the longer spans just come down to knocking a more stakes in and stapling them up which doesn't take too long.

If its a short span I wouldn't bother giving a price per meter as such just give a price to do the job.

ok, not sure what your experience of fencing is you will need to pull the netting tight before you can tye it off. you won't be able to do that length solely using a draper bar. Best way on a budget is to make some kind of clamp to clamp onto the netting so you can pull the whole lot up in one go using a vehicle or hand winch then tye off on the strainer once tight.

those draper bars are ok for the odd repair and assisting proper straining equipment but don,t do a very satisfactory job on their own. Also mine has an irritating habit of cutting the wire when pulling it tight. The Myti bar is much better but a bit more £

My clamps are made by Drivall. I use 2 and pull them together in the middle of the span- gets a nice even tension throughout the span. You can you use one and pull it up at one end. Seeing as your on flat ground this will work fine for you but on undulating hilly ground the netting can be tight in some places and slack in other- pulling it in the middle usually resolves this.

2 metre spacings on the posts is going to make it mighty expensive, you can go up to 6 m spacings using high tensile netting although I usually go at 5 m if your using mild steel netting you should still be ok to go to 4m spacings, save some back ache too :laugh1: