Rock climbing

Sciadopitys

Hi Steve, Nice set of pics, I have one or two on my profile, I think (will check) What are the routes that have captured your imagination in the pass?

It's very possible to get obsesed with a route, especially if it's beyond your abilities. Since the Corner, I've gone on to harder grades, but because it was my first E1, and because it is an amazing route anyway, it is probably my fave. That and Flying butress direct at Stanage. I solo's it once for a dare!

I dont get much time to climb or indeed train or for that matter diet:001_smile:

Oh and the long hair and Lycra thing is very 1987. And French mostly. The Northern grit climbers wear jeans and have the hair of policemen.:001_tongue:

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ha....good pic of the corner..and good effort on your sole on flying butress direct.....do u think u will get back into it?...Routes...hard to say but some of the Routes I did in Pembroke have got to be up there with a capital A for adventure and Alp/North Wales for length.......i spent 8 months up in Chesterfield and managed to tick alot of Stanage, Burbage etc that I had on my list....i like grit in the way there a less holds/features than limestone so the move (sometimes) come to you quicker and can be more dynamic. Gritstone is the best rock known to man/women...I have many more pics may post a few more if I get time later...cheers steve

I went to Rock City in Hull, had trouble getting in, the guy on the desk was trying to make me do a course for £60 to teach my how to tie my rope to my harness. I told him i was an Arborist and new how to tie knots, but i had never seen the belay device he showed me, so he refused me entry. I went to an internet cafe looked how it worked then went back. Took me another half hour to convince him to let me on the bloody walls! In the end he gave in and let me in! Its so bloody simple i cannot believe he wouldn't just show me how to use the belay devise! Anyway, i loved it - cannot wait to go again, and maybe one day i will have a go on real rock!

belaying is simple, it's a whole load of repitition and paying attention. i've a mate who is a safe belayer but not my favorite as he keeps the rope a wee bit too tight.

this is my local climbing wall i'm yet to manage the difficulty wall 12m high by 12m out. the easiest route is a 6c+, i'm about 3 moves from the end.

As for climbing outside i really need to do more, all the local crags are way way east of the yard so i never make em.

Anyway well done for getting on the walls, we should mayeb work out an arb talk climbing sesh

Jamie

I went to Rock City in Hull, had trouble getting in, the guy on the desk was trying to make me do a course for £60 to teach my how to tie my rope to my harness. I told him i was an Arborist and new how to tie knots, but i had never seen the belay device he showed me, so he refused me entry. I went to an internet cafe looked how it worked then went back. Took me another half hour to convince him to let me on the bloody walls! In the end he gave in and let me in! Its so bloody simple i cannot believe he wouldn't just show me how to use the belay devise! Anyway, i loved it - cannot wait to go again, and maybe one day i will have a go on real rock!

And so we come full circle. Really glad you enjoyed it. Bit of a twit on the door. climbing walls are great fun, but the adventures happen on the crags and mountains. Uk climbing is excellent. The alps are mind blowing. Hope you take it up regular like.

hi,

hey Jason James Gairn good effort on doing the corner I hear the top moves are getting a bit polished. I love North Wales and in the passed have been obsessed with it(check out my pictures in my profile).

Yeah I got into rock climbing as was getting frustrated with not enough good climbs in work. I feel rock climbing is total freedom with out saws, ropes holding you in places (not to say I dislike arb work) and exercises you mentally and physically.

I had a nasty injury at the beginning of last year and this has put me out of action for a while (Physically and abit of bottle too!). I have been back bouldering for a good few months but keen to get back into leading this summer (VS-E1). Anyone interested in getting out in South Wales or trips to North Wales as I have use of a club hut near Llanberris then drop us a line.

Cheers Steve

[email protected]

I'd be up for doing something mate, i've lead to HVS but that was 5 years ago now so a tad rusty lol !

Matt.