30-35m tracked platform

gibbon

http://www.universalplatforms.co.uk/equipment_hire/narrow_access_telescopic.html

"It does exactly what it says on the tin" :001_smile:

Called them today, £450 for a day plus £375 delivery each way! Thats a little more than I had estimated.

Another option could be to use a man basket from a mobile crane. I can get a 50t crane (40m boom with and aditional 18m jib) for about £400. Does anyone have any feedback on using a saw from a man basket? Has anyone done this?

I have done a job from a crane basket.

Its wierd because when your right up the wind moves you about a bit and even the torque from a 200T is enough to turn the basket against the cut!

Once you get used to it its ok, but IMO a platform is preferable.

The one I had's worst feature was the fact that it was chained at each corner to support it up to the hook and the chains were always in your way.

The basket was large and numb to get right into the tree, even with a good operator.

Plus side is that once the tops are off, you just chain the stem at the top and go and cut it off at the bottom!

Very easy.:001_cool:

So am I right in thinking that, you can chain the timber as usual, but you are attached to it via the basket. Cut it, come down, un chain, go back up? I have some crane experience, but never from a basket nor do I know anyone who has to chat too.