Landlord and overgrown tree advice please

Pantone

Question

Hi all

I'd really appreciate your input on my situation. I rent a lovely house which has a rather overgrown tree in the front garden.

I've spoken to the landlord and agency 4 times about it but he is adamant that it is fine and doesn't need cutting back. Well aside from the fact that we need to have the lights on all day because its so gloomy and everytime it's a bit windy the tree whacks the roof, I'm more worried about the amount of dead branches that fall off it either onto the house or front garden.

I didn't want to waste someone's time asking them to come and look when he will probably say no to getting done, but thought I would ask here first and if its a pretty unanimous "that tree is ridiculously overgrown" I'd probably start a more formal complaint with him! Could you take a look at the attached photos and see what you think?

I hope they are attached anyway, it keeps hanging when I try to upload them!

Thanks

image.jpg.0061f6ac3692382216806ce4b62fe696.jpg

• Answers 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Sorry this was harsh and it was only in jest but it is something that should be considered a possibility in the future.

Don't apologise, you're correct about the ''possibility'' of subsidence, but the owner doesn't want works carried out to the tree, he is obviously very passionate about his trees. His house his tree

Plus lets not forget about heave if the tree is removed, yes I know it could die and still cause the building to heave, saying this neither of us know if its growing in clay or not :sneaky2: heave or subsidence might never be an issue :001_smile:

Edited by Lee Winger

I know fella I just wouldn't wish subsidence on any1 can be pretty costly not just to nature. Whole heartedly agree on preservation and conservation of trees and hate it when I see a healthy tree taken down or butchered.

Hypocritical on my behalf but was I to do a mortgage report on that tree, not that I do them anymore, I'd have to recommend removal...:thumbdown:

Just a quick update.

I lost a few roof tiles during a recent storm as the limbs overhanging the roof we're knocking against it in the wind.

Called the landlord again...he turned up with his mate in a digger, stood in the bucket in shirt and trousers and hacked the offending limbs off with a rusty chainsaw. Bathe limbs overhanging the roof which then took most of the guttering with them.

He wasn't bothered about the bloody tree it was the money the whole time. So now I have a tree which has quarter of it hacked off and missing guttering. And still no light.

I love my landlord.

I would write to your Landlord, just for the record, thanking him for his 'valuable' time and request that he considers repairing/replacing the cutters before the winter.

This would hopefully spur him to do that which you have requested and is on the record so won't be taken from your deposit when you leave.

Man sounds like an ar*e though!:biggrin:

codlasher