new set-up

mad matty

Hi all...a bit old school me (blakes hitch) for years.....thinking of trying something new like the look of a hitch climber set-up. Any recommendations for an old git like me or shall I stay as I am?

any help cheers and thanks in advance...cheers Matt:thumbup1:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's great. It's light and cheap - cheap being the operative word!

I only changed over around a year ago. then got the ZigZag (RIP) then went back to the hitch climber, and do you know what... I think I prefer the hitch climber.

I have only used the Knut knot and I really like it.

Oh and I'm 46. Is that old enough for you? Oh and I got a 150T. light weight is the way forward!

Edited by redmoosefaction

Hitch climber is good. I use whenever I rec climb. Easy to undo mid line. Unlike some mechanical systems.

Have seen the spider jack and lock jack used, didn't think they looked too bad.

when You say undo mid-line you mean in a good way??? Looking at the set honey bros have what do you reckon:confused1:

Yeah means I can undo it when I switch to the other end of the rope. Rather than having to pull all the rope up and take it off the end.

Or carry another set up lot and hook it on the other end.

I use use it with a prussik, I've tried other knots but prefer the prussik.

The honey brothers one is close to mine. I use a stein sky walker double hole pulley. Just didn't see the point in three holes. That's all.

And use a bit of small para cord and small tool carabiner thingy to attach pulley to other end of line. Rather than use a huge carabiner for a simple non load bearing part.

http://www.treemagineers.com/downloads/hitch_climbers_guide.pdf

All you need is the special pulley good bit of friction cord, don't bother with ocean as I found it burnt out really quickly, and a couple of oval crabs.

Experiment with the friction cord, use fisherman knots and adjust the length so you get minimum sit back.

It's so nice to just pull the tail rather that push the prussick up.

I also use TOWA active grip gloves to pull yourself up the rope without having to wrap the rope around your hand to get a grip. Hence you can also pull with both arms!

Just tried to check what cord I use, couldn't find it, sure I got it from HB. Will check tomozza. and just experiment with length. It gets loads better with experimentation.

HB has the pulley's for £22 at the mo. Get a pantin for the long haul's. You can just thrust like your prussicking.

Just get one and use it.

Edited by redmoosefaction