Fungi identification and its impact on this tree.

Tommy Hutchinson

My advise would be to not underestimate the potential for failure where P. squamosus is involved, particularly where the target part has not been subjected to thorough inspection

Inspection certainly required. Any grounds for differentiating between P. squamosus prognoses on Acer and Fagus?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Inspection certainly required. Any grounds for differentiating between P. squamosus prognoses on Acer and Fagus?

in y experience it appears to be more hazardous in Acer, this may be down to acer being fairly poor at compartmentalisation of dysfunctions

Note-

Compartmentalisation of Dysfunction as it should be, not Decay

Note-

Compartmentalisation of Dysfunction as it should be, not Decay

O i dunno; maybe it should be Damage, or Dessication...:001_tt2:

If an entire tree was removed as a result of one branch failing, that increased risk to surrounding trees, by increasing exposure.

A risky precedent, in terms of retaining canopy, if they value it at all.

If you don't climb, find someone who can, and get a decent look at the whole tree(s).

If the college teaches arb, what a great class project! :thumbup:

Any grounds for differentiating between P. squamosus prognoses on Acer and Fagus?

Although there would be merit in comparing a specific genus/species against the strategy of a known decay organism, I would imagine that an individual tree would as much require an assessment of its vitality and dynamic mass in relation to competing against a supposed weakness of localised dysfuction/decay as well as leaning on the lab comparison/annalysis of woody cellular study in the likes of the Schwarze text books.

I also think its perhaps a difficulty to generalise the differences in decay adaptation between two unequal genus groups in terms of numbers of species within each.

Noted, thanks. I have really only come across P.s in Sycamore. It seems to progress well where a wound allows for draining of the decay ares, possibly allowing bettere aeration. Might well progress upwards from that wound. I would certainly be getting up thre to tap, sniff, poke, hoke and perhaps bore. In both senses, ha ha!

The loss of cellulose and compressive strength at that elbow could be cause for concern. I suppose it would bhelp to know when the wound was made, to see if the occlusion is progressing at a rate that will complete Wall 4 before the extent of decay and loss of strength reaches critical.

O i dunno; maybe it should be Damage, or Dessication...:001_tt2:

If an entire tree was removed as a result of one branch failing, that increased risk to surrounding trees, by increasing exposure.

A risky precedent, in terms of retaining canopy, if they value it at all.

If you don't climb, find someone who can, and get a decent look at the whole tree(s).

If the college teaches arb, what a great class project! :thumbup:

no Guy, dysfunction is the right term, trees dont limit fungi, hydration does.

Shigo, who coined the CODIT acronym, had D as Decay but in hindsight it could probably be applied more generally to Dysfunction.

Indeed, and long overdue that it was inserted to the minds of arbs everywhere. I believe it causes a confusion, not least that trees actively wall and defend against fungal colonisation, they do not.

Fungi colonise and establish in trees even while the conditions do not favour them, and lie dormant in tissues, in the symplast, until such time as conditions in the woody tissues change via cavitations (drought induced) or other means of aeration of the tissues like die back of suppressed branches and twigs or limb failures.

The heart rot fungi such as Laetiporus, Inonotus etc illustrate to us just how well the wood has been colonised during less hospitable times by showing rapid colonisation and fruiting when tissues become aerated via failures.

I reckon that with what you have said, the true thing or process that is being compartmentalised is colonisation, whether it brings decay or dysfunction.

It would have made for an interesting acronym for distal wall 1 compartmentalisation...

I said trees are colonised while fully functional (see endophytes) so no it is NOT compartmentalising colonisation but youre right it would have been an odd acronym! C.O.C.I.T:lol: