Eucalyptus gunni

Janlogger

Got a Eucalyptus approx 20m high(in a conservation area, but thats a seperate issue) ... the chap wants it felled, studied the job and it looks straight forward enough as it is weighted very slightly in the intended felling direction. I shall hook up a winch just for belt and braces and then apply the good old dog tooth. My query to the old and bold on here is that I have heard the Eucalyptus can twist/break/snap and generally be a bit unpredictable ... I'm assuming a decent hinge should address this no matter what the tree characteristics are?? Thanks in advance, Jan.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Job to say without seeing it.

Why the dog tooth though?

I assume this is at least a semi-rhetorical question? But it does stop things moving both on forward and back leaners. Forward lean, obviously stops it going too early, back lean lets you get the hinge set and a couple of wedges in, tension the winch line without pinching the bar of the saw.

Seems very much the flavour of the month at the moment, but it does have its uses.

If the tree is biased or leaning towards where you want to fell it then why the winch?

I assume this is at least a semi-rhetorical question? But it does stop things moving both on forward and back leaners. Forward lean, obviously stops it going too early, back lean lets you get the hinge set and a couple of wedges in, tension the winch line without pinching the bar of the saw.

Seems very much the flavour of the month at the moment, but it does have its uses.

If the tree is biased or leaning towards where you want to fell it then why the winch?

Thats more the point. People seem to use dog tooths as a matter of course...they are just not needed. I reckon I do 2 or 3 a year!

Well the choice of cut is one of control more than anything whilst the winch is a belt and braces act due to the tree being within a residential area and it literally does only have one way to fall! The 'Point' after all of a dogtooth is control, was asking more about the characteristics of the tree rather than the choice of cut.

If its not a heavy forward lean and there arnt any large limbs hanging the opposite way you could probably get away with a letterbox bore and chasing the hinge , and i dont recommend leaving a large hinge with added pressure from winch as it may want to split.

Yes, this was another option considered, still to be considered in due course before the felling operation.

Thats more the point. People seem to use dog tooths as a matter of course...they are just not needed. I reckon I do 2 or 3 a year!

I agree, but in this health and safety conscious world in which we live in I think we can expect to see more of them. I was once told, unfortunately I can't remember by whom, that it would/should replace normal felling cuts, ie every cut should be dog-tooth!! :thumbdown: