anyone know?...cs30 and 31

frenchy

hi all, theres a land at work, who comes in for work experience, twice a week, when not at college. He has got his cs30-and 31 assesment in the morning. However, he said for the cs30, they ask you for a bore cut to severe the wood, we just usually cut down move the log over and finnish it.

He reckons the trainer didnt cover bits, and wants to know if when carrying the bore cut, do you have to cut all the way to the ground and come back up, or can you leave a bit at the bottom, roll it over and finnish it of.

Cheers

Am am currently at college and took my CS30 in January. I had to carry out two boring cuts but the logs were laying on the ground. I had to bore through the log and then bring the saw back up through the top of the log. Then I rolled the log over and had to line the cuts up to show that I was still accurate. Fairly simple, just to show the assessor that you have full controol of the saw when boring at full throttle. If the log is suspended by two other logs at each end then he'll have to take into account tension and compression. So bore through, come back out through the top and then go back in underneath the log to sever it. That way the saw will not get stuck in the kerf and his cuts should line up.

When i did mine it was a case of if the tree had clearance underneath it go all the way through then come back up through the top if not it was the opposite way around but it all comes down to the way the tree is sitting and what way the tension and compression is on the tree :)