Srt and drt.

Rich2484

Ok so going on from another thread.

This is going to be really easy for some to answer and I'm going to look like a right idiot.

Seen a few threads and posts referring to single rope technique and double rope technique.

And on some I've seen a hitch climber being called single but I thought it was double and you are doubling the rope over and using both ends. Is this right or what?

And best is can anyone explain with pictures or vids on it.

Sorry I just get confused over the techniques and I'm looking for a bit of guidance over the difference. I currently rec climb on a hitch climber set up, this using the rope over the tree bell and back down, so in effect using bothe ends of the rope. Is this srt or drt???

Sorry I'm just confused over what's what. Also if anyone says what they climb with I.e, hitch climber, giri, lock jack, is there a chance of a picture of what you use please.

Sorry its peace of mind really, I don't climb for work but interested in what's what.:blushing::blushing::thumbup1:

What you climb on is what the vast majority of people climb on, drt either using a hitchclimber or similar pulley as a slack tender. obvs there are still people using prussik/blakes hitch systems. srt is where a line is either tied off on a suitable anchor point in the canopy or over a branch/fork and tied off with a basal anchor. Normal means of ascent would be by a system of asscenders linked in various config's. other systems have become popular of late such as the rope wrench which utilises the hitch climber,the hitch hiker and the unicender. These allow an srt system to be used for work positioning like a drt system.

Urm. :confused1::confused1::confused1:

Kind of what I was talking about. :lol:

Ok. So srt is one rope up and either down and anchored at the base with only one bit of rope to climb on.

Drt is a rope up and back down same way.

This is where I get confused, I've seen people climb on these two ends together, but also like the hitch climber with one end fixed to the climbing aid and the other end hanging down. So working end and tail end.

The hitchclimber is used in the same way in both systems, if your climbing on ddrt the friction is generated over a limb if using it for srt you need to add friction by means of a rope wrench or the like. In srt accsess the hitch acts like mechanical ascender would by capturing progress however trying to descend without added friction would generate a lot of heat on the hitch which would cause it to jam.

Srt is one static length of rope, to keep it simple for this purpose we'll day that it is one end tied at the top of the tree. (But it can be different).

Formerly, Srt referred to access with ascenders, not to be used for work positioning. Since the advent of srt work positioning, srtwp has been adopted by many as the appropriate abbreviation.

Drt is double rope technique. The sane as above only with two parallel static lines. Generally only used for access.

Ddrt is doubled rope technique, one rope that runs over an anchor point then back to the climber, one end tied to the climber, the other controlled with a hitch/mechanical device. This is by far the most common system in use in arb.

It does get a lot deeper but this is the basics. Hope that answers your question and makes some sense:)