A Brief Note to All

Andy Collins

Criticism, good and bad, of the forum can only help to improve things on the forum. But we can only act on issues if we are told about them.

One strong criticism I heard at the show was the continuous misinformation on general safety issues involved in tree work, this point was raised by a well known and respected instructor. I'd like to remind all who use this forum, that Arbtalk is no replacement for correct training with approved instructors, it is merely a platform to discuss various topics. With the high rate of posting that such an active forum attracts, it is very hard for us to ensure the details of each and every post is 100% accurate, so don't take it as read that it is 100% accurate.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Criticism, good and bad, of the forum can only help to improve things on the forum. But we can only act on issues if we are told about them.

One strong criticism I heard at the show was the continuous misinformation on general safety issues involved in tree work, this point was raised by a well known and respected instructor. I'd like to remind all who use this forum, that Arbtalk is no replacement for correct training with approved instructors, it is merely a platform to discuss various topics. With the high rate of posting that such an active forum attracts, it is very hard for us to ensure the details of each and every post is 100% accurate, so don't take it as read that it is 100% accurate.

Hi Andy,

The real strength of this forum is that it is 'open' to all, regardless of memberships, knowledge, experience etc. and hence is an invaluable resource and 'link' for all within the industry. Plus people can post stuff which perhaps challenges convention, shall we say, but again that is valuable to. It is only by so doing we review and improve to the benefit of all.

I'm pretty sure that most readers understand many opinions are personal views and not to be taken 'as read' but you are quiet right to remind all of the limitations of the forum and posts therein.

Nonetheless 'THANK YOU' from the industry and PLEASE keep up the good work.

Paul

People cant hold the forum responsible for an individuals opinions. It is up to everyone to make their own decisions and use the forum for, at best guidance.

Maybe everyone should sign up to some clause that states that :) if not already done so.

Just don't moderate it in a bias way let the forum be a free and open place to discuss, 7 billion people have that many different views, we cant learn from restrictive bias people :).

I personally want to see the right and the wrong way of doing things as that gives me the best information on what i should be doing for myself.

Anyway i think AT does a great job, alot of arbs don't share info and younger guys have to learn the hard way, on here i learnt some good stuff. :thumbup:

It's always good to get a vote of confidence from members :thumbup: but we have to move with the times, address issues if and when they arise, and if necessary, alter things to make the forum an even better place. The overwhelming response I heard was that its a great place to hang out and chat about trees all night. :001_smile:

That's the hard thing about any Forum such as this, someone from within this industry can look at the ways others work and adapt any new ideas to their existing style, but other can look at a forum like this copy what others do to save money or try and make it.

I personally think that training is great, but doesn't always prepare you for the real work, which is where this Forum works so well. The amount of tips and new ideas I've picked up from here is amazing, but I wouldn't take on anything that I wouldn't feel comfortable doing, as I'm sure is the same as most of us on here.

This place is amazing, and it does a fantastic job of bringing together the Arb community so thank you for all your hard work.

That's the hard thing about any Forum such as this' date=' someone from within this industry can look at the ways others work and adapt any new ideas to their existing style, but other can look at a forum like this copy what others do to save money or try and make it.

I personally think that training is great, but doesn't always prepare you for the real work, which is where this Forum works so well. The amount of tips and new ideas I've picked up from here is amazing, but I wouldn't take on anything that I wouldn't feel comfortable doing, as I'm sure is the same as most of us on here.

This place is amazing, and it does a fantastic job of bringing together the Arb community so thank you for all your hard work.[/quote']

I did think that about people taking your experiences without earning the knowledge, but then i realised unless they are me my way wont work for anyone else :)

It's always good to get a vote of confidence from members :thumbup: but we have to move with the times, address issues if and when they arise, and if necessary, alter things to make the forum an even better place. The overwhelming response I heard was that its a great place to hang out and chat about trees all night. :001_smile:

Andy, simplistically, on registration / sign up to the forum could you include a declaration that the views/opinions expressed are those of the individual subscribers and that ARBTALK cannot be held responsible for the accuracy therefore of the content...or words to that effect?

I think this is probably a fairly standard thing with other such industry forums.

Paul

Andy, simplistically, on registration / sign up to the forum could you include a declaration that the views/opinions expressed are those of the individual subscribers and that ARBTALK cannot be held responsible for the accuracy therefore of the content...or words to that effect?

I think this is probably a fairly standard thing with other such industry forums.

Paul

Yep its all covered in the guidelines.

Personally I dont think theres a problem with the misinformation in itself as this is usually(not always) corrected somewhere later in the thread. This is a discussion forum after all. The problem lies in:

a) People who know better and choose not to join in the discussion to correct people, instead sit on the side lines and then moan about the misinformation at a later date.

and

b) Where a reader may get as far as the misinformed posting and not read the thread to its conclusion.

Theres really nothing that needs or can be done about this, other than asking people who know better to join in when needed.