non running 044

william127

Piston and cylinder changed, fired up first time, fitting a new carb to it when it arrives, cleaned about a pound of grime out the body work, well pleased:thumbup1: thanks for the advice everyone:thumbup:

Next up an 088/090 project or maybe even a big husky?:biggrin:

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Piston and cylinder changed, fired up first time, fitting a new carb to it when it arrives, cleaned about a pound of grime out the body work, well pleased:thumbup1: thanks for the advice everyone:thumbup:

Next up an 088/090 project or maybe even a big husky?:biggrin:

Nice to hear about a straightforward fix.

Can I ask where you bought your P&C from? I got round to trying to clean mine's cylinder last night and found a couple nasty grooves right up the bore, so I'm now looking to replace the lot.

Loads of kits on ebay, but it's knowing which ones are decent quality.

Nice to hear about a straightforward fix.

Can I ask where you bought your P&C from? I got round to trying to clean mine's cylinder last night and found a couple nasty grooves right up the bore, so I'm now looking to replace the lot.

Loads of kits on ebay, but it's knowing which ones are decent quality.

How bad are the scores, IMO I would use the OEM cylinder with a new quality piston rather than use Chinese unless it is well and truly FUBARed!

Don't get me wrong, they make a nice Cantonese sweet and sour and some rather good king prawn dishes but their P&C kits can be a bit hit and miss - the piston rings are particularly rubbish!

Right here we are. Strangely, these I took with my phone, the ones I tried with my camera were crap.

I know there's still plenty transfer in there, but I stopped trying to clean it once I saw the grooves.

So what do you think?

Well I can see what you mean but TBH, I would get rid of the transfer, hone it with a bit of 180 grit, followed with 400 grit - around the bore and not up and down and would fit a decent piston and see what it pulls - for the sake of a £30 piston IMO it is worth a go!

Don't try to make the scores disappear but make sure there are no high points.

The meteor pistons in an OEM bore are a far better fit than the average Chinese piston in a CHinese Cylinder and you should get 150psi all being well!

If you can do the work yourself then give it a go, just make sure the reason for the saw to seize is sorted.