This weekend's job

Dean Lofthouse

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers fella,

bit of a steep learning curve tbh.

First thing, other than a shed, or tree-house, I've ever built.

I am enjoying it though.

Obviously, the missus can never know that.:laugh1::laugh1::laugh1:

Your planning could affect how you build your polytunnel. If you can get permission then you can go to town with a permanent structure concrete floor etc. otherwise it will need to be a temporary structure which means concrete anchors which you can lift for your hoops and temporary concrete bog mats for your floor if you want to use machinery inside your tunnel.

What's at the back of that. Is it strong enough to push up against it with loader?

I have put wire mesh panels all round which are strong enough to pile wood against. You can push up to about 4ft with the bob cat when unloading but 31/2 ft is a mistake as I found by mistake:blushing: we dry logs in 1.5 cu metre bags and tip in tunnel to refill every few weeks during the winter so no need to go to the back until we have have a clean up in the spring. We stop doing logs so now have the woodmizer at the back and repair our vehicles at the front. Fantastic place to work all year breaks the wind in winter and bone dry, unlike tin sheds which sweat. In the summer nice and cool and shaded.

I cant remember the supplier but they definately came from sussex and were called poly build or something mega helpful when we built it.

Your planning could affect how you build your polytunnel. If you can get permission then you can go to town with a permanent structure concrete floor etc. otherwise it will need to be a temporary structure which means concrete anchors which you can lift for your hoops and temporary concrete bog mats for your floor if you want to use machinery inside your tunnel.

Do polytunnels for horticulture require planning ?

This one isn't going to be used for logs, just growing. I,m going to start doing yew in a bigger way. I intend to use that cover that transmits less light through as I have found that the trigger for their growth after winter is the temperature rather than light. I,m just hoping I can bring them on quicker in a tunnel