Interesting Biomechanics

David Humphries

... there was one tree inparticular that caught my eye, and a finer example of torsional growth could not be found.

[ATTACH]40007[/ATTACH]

These trees apear to have something in common.

Dave

59765738062b4_Twistedmaple.jpg.c82b5944d55afd058112c86c666a44d4.jpg

This is the best I have at the moment, but I'll try to get some closer pictures next week.

Species is Acer saccharinum, silver maple. These trees are prone to this development and there are several scattered around the valley. Though not as pronounced as this one.

Dave

What is interesting is the link between torsional growth and older more mature trees that have braod canopies and exposed positions, even if only exposed on one side, like a field edge with back into woodland.

It does make you wonder how many other ways trees adapt to things we dont yet recognise.

I also wonder if as we no longer alow trees to develop into late maturity are we taking away the genetics of mammoth? will we effectivley shrink trees ultimate size by removing them before they reach thier full potential?

elephants have been selected by poachers to have no tusks!

food for thought.

food for thought.

munch munch, chew chew, gnaw gnaw, munch chew gnaw.........burp.

Indeed !

Thing that intrigues me is the time aspect.

We tend not to see the early signs of torsion developing, as it's so subtle.

Right, I'm going to set up a 70 year time lapse photo set, i'll get it started and then task my boys to continue it when I'm gone.

Hopefully Steves' kids will still be running arbtalk, so they can post the shots here on this thread in 2080.

You'll probably still be here Hama, hope you enjoy them :biggrin:

munch munch, chew chew, gnaw gnaw, munch chew gnaw.........burp.

Indeed !

Thing that intrigues me is the time aspect.

We tend not to see the early signs of torsion developing, as it's so subtle.

Right, I'm going to set up a 70 year time lapse photo set, i'll get it started and then task my boys to continue it when I'm gone.

Hopefully Steves' kids will still be running arbtalk, so they can post the shots here on this thread in 2080.

You'll probably still be here Hama, hope you enjoy them :biggrin:

:laugh1: I doubt I will last that long David! but i will be here till my end is nigh!:thumbup1:

if I was a great artist i would do a sketch animation of a tre going through its life from seed to decay.

:laugh1: I doubt I will last that long David! but i will be here till my end is nigh!:thumbup1:

if I was a great artist i would do a sketch animation of a tre going through its life from seed to decay.

thats a cracking idea tony......have the idea and get somebody to do it!! I'm people on here would know of somebody:thumbup:

thats a cracking idea tony......have the idea and get somebody to do it!! I'm people on here would know of somebody:thumbup:

it would be a serious project requiring much effort and time to do it justice, I know an artist who has the talent, but lacks self confidence and motivation to use his talents.

wastes his time with graffiti art, which is of the highest calibre, and not really a waste, just not worthy of his level of artistic ability.