Aerial rescue in a REAL emergency

Andy Collins

The most important thing that we can all take from this is dont ever, ever work with Arbocop you are nearly guaranteed to be involved in an accident :scared1:

Obviously only joking there. :001_tongue:

Interesting reading as always.

I will leave my comments as they are. :001_smile:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks Mesterh

just won £5 off my lady as i said within 3 posts some one would say that she said no way.

i think i should quantify a few things, as a trainer you deal with novices and have to be very strickt as things can go wrong very quickley, i also used to be heavily envolved with a volantary ambulance service, and water rescue organisation, so found my self in situations were we were there just in case it whent wrong.

having said that i know alot of people who have seen a lot moor action than me, i think my whole point is you really really do need to practise and plan over and over and over again because if you do need to do it one day you need to do it a slic as possible.

the other thing is challange, i know its a buzz word at the moment but do say we always practise this what if...........

kev

There is no substitute for having and practising good aerial rescue skills but there is also a very easy and simple way of getting an injured climber down that can be taught and practiced by ground crew that can't climb.

The anchor point the climber uses is set up as a seperate system, over a suitable crotch similar to what the climber would choose, i.e. pulley or cambium saver attached to the end of a rope which is anchored at ground level attached to a lowerable device that the ground crew can use (prussik petzl stop etc,etc).

OK it would not always work 100% of the time as an unconcious climber may get caught up but in most scenarios it works and is another way of making the job safer.

For someone like Shrek who works as a lone climber it would make his situation 100% safer, the guys on the ground could more than likely get him down if the s**t hit the fan.

There is no substitute for having and practising good aerial rescue skills but there is also a very easy and simple way of getting an injured climber down that can be taught and practiced by ground crew that can't climb.

The anchor point the climber uses is set up as a seperate system, over a suitable crotch similar to what the climber would choose, i.e. pulley or cambium saver attached to the end of a rope which is anchored at ground level attached to a lowerable device that the ground crew can use (prussik petzl stop etc,etc).

OK it would not always work 100% of the time as an unconcious climber may get caught up but in most scenarios it works and is another way of making the job safer.

For someone like Shrek who works as a lone climber it would make his situation 100% safer, the guys on the ground could more than likely get him down if the s**t hit the fan.

i agree that the above is a really good technique but what happens when the climber is stropped in with his/her lanyard? This technique then becomes useless. As arbocop said, practice, practice, practice. We set aside a few hours every month to practice aerial rescue in different scenarios, knowing all your crew can do a rescue (in theory) is great piece of mind whilst working at height.

Ive only done one real rescue (and hopefully no more) and this really hit home the need for practice. Its like insurance, you hope you never need it, but if you do need it, your glad youve got it.

i agree that the above is a really good technique but what happens when the climber is stropped in with his/her lanyard? This technique then becomes useless.

This is a strong statement that I have heard before from others. But it is not true. There is a lot to be said for having a fully functional lowering system preattached to an injured climber. This negates the need for load transfer and simplifies the complexities of the release of the secondary lanyard for the aerial rescuers.

Unfortunately, this is not a system that can be used in all occasions. But wherever possible and practical, I think it is an excellent idea.

Dave

This is a strong statement that I have heard before from others. But it is not true. There is a lot to be said for having a fully functional lowering system preattached to an injured climber. This negates the need for load transfer and simplifies the complexities of the release of the secondary lanyard for the aerial rescuers.

Unfortunately, this is not a system that can be used in all occasions. But wherever possible and practical, I think it is an excellent idea.

Dave

yeah i hear ya man and agree that it definetly has its place BUT it still needs a climber on site who can do a rescue to go and undo the lanyard. The system is not a replacement for having a good second climber, which it can suggest it is. My personal preference is to have an access line installed and groundies who are trained to do a rescue. Different techniques for different jobs. Just having this discussion is good as keep you thinking of different ideas. cheers.:001_cool:

Drew, Even when you have a skilled second climber, a ground-based system will be quicker in a large number of emergencies.

I believe there are certain benefits to a ground-based retreival system where research of those benefits could be focused.

I don't have the numbers but I do know that in many trauma situations unconsciousness is not immediate. And there are moments prior to blood loss and shock where a lanyard can be unclipped and rescue could be immediate. This immediacy is not possible with just a second climber retreival system. And in severe trauma, time does matter.

Dave

Fair point Mike.

Most but not all our ropes have spliced eyes, which will make it less risky to attach.

Been trialing it with all the climbers for the last week or so.

Keeping it simple should make it become habitual.

But the line can get in the way of dropped or lowered brush :thumbdown:

Guess that's really about pre planning routes etc.

Will swap over to spare rope in a week or two to gauge the difference.

Switched over from throw line (too often getting tangled up :thumbdown:), and now going with rope set up.

P3050023.jpg.1bb70a8e068a10411497da3a7dfbbdc2.jpg

P3050010.jpg.77f1a430efce41586bab140c8d92d1dd.jpg

597653e521c0e_P2190005255B1255D1.jpg.083d8f0831d9018415a26aa1e47dc610.jpg

Drew, Even when you have a skilled second climber, a ground-based system will be quicker in a large number of emergencies.

I believe there are certain benefits to a ground-based retreival system where research of those benefits could be focused.

I don't have the numbers but I do know that in many trauma situations unconsciousness is not immediate. And there are moments prior to blood loss and shock where a lanyard can be unclipped and rescue could be immediate. This immediacy is not possible with just a second climber retreival system. And in severe trauma, time does matter.

Dave

cant argue with that dave.:001_smile:

Additionally I will be researching Arb specific First Aid training this year, as opposed to the generic type cuurently provided

We use a company called ABC response training, 0161 626 1364 they are used by quite a few arb companys in my area and do specific training for our industry