Found in an Ash!

Mikyb

I client spotted this in their Ash tree.

Can anyone identify?

Is this detrimental to the health of the tree? Would it be something for the owners to be concerned about? The tree overall looks to be healthy, and I estimate it to be around 60ft tall, it's quite a large one! The bracket is situated on a large scaffold off the main trunk.

The tree has a TPO and has last year was refused a reduction to increase the distance from surrounding houses, and it is totally blanketing the neighbouring gardens.

They are now talking about using the bracket as leverage towards getting the tree removed, as being dangerous!

I am very wary of telling them that it is nothing to worry about, in the event that a large branch fails and causes serious damage or injury.

IMAG0206.jpg.0b1a59d1fb06b00e295ff88ce103dccc.jpg

IMAG0202.jpg.7465f1b250ced25df243702bc3883ef3.jpg

Excellent, thank you very much. I knew you guys would know :)

Sounds like the first sign of anything serious happening would be die back of the branches attached. I'll tell them to keep an eye on it.

Thanks again.

Ahem! First sign of anything serious happening might be picking the limb up off the deck. From what I have seen of Inonotus hispudus, it can result in rapid loss of strength without much if any sign of dieback. Ash can be in full leaf and then snap at the base showing nothing more than a healthy bark and a couple of rings of healthy wood and all the rest of the innards gone. Not necessarily due to this fungus but ash has no heartwood just ripewood that when it starts to decay seems to be very vulnerable. I.h causes simultaneous white rot, just about the worst kind.

I would suggest you confirm the identification of the fungus. I am no expert on I. hispidus so personally I would take a precautionary approach and assume the worst until otherwise demonstrated. I certainly wouldn't tell client not to worry nor would I immediately take the fungus as proof of the need to take the tree down.

Ahem! First sign of anything serious happening might be picking the limb up off the deck. From what I have seen of Inonotus hispudus, it can result in rapid loss of strength without much if any sign of dieback. Ash can be in full leaf and then snap at the base showing nothing more than a healthy bark and a couple of rings of healthy wood and all the rest of the innards gone. Not necessarily due to this fungus but ash has no heartwood just ripewood that when it starts to decay seems to be very vulnerable. I.h causes simultaneous white rot, just about the worst kind.

I would suggest you confirm the identification of the fungus. I am no expert on I. hispidus so personally I would take a precautionary approach and assume the worst until otherwise demonstrated. I certainly wouldn't tell client not to worry nor would I immediately take the fungus as proof of the need to take the tree down.

assume the worse till proven otherwise? its our job to work the other way!

Well, you would have to define job. The Original Poster could be remiss in tellinmg client that it's fine unless it starts to show dieback. What I mean is I would suggest they keep clear of it until the situation is more thoroughly investigated. But, what can we tell from one ooicture and a few words? Only enough to try and point a fellow Arb in the right direction and to suggest a precautionary approach.

How does one 'keep clear' of a big tree in their yard? Move to the Gobi Desert?

A precautionary approach sounds like a defensive approach,

which is not always defendable.

I hispidus is sluggish in oak and gives plenty of warning, ime. Yes in ash it's worth a closer, balanced look at what is, with less of the 'what if'.

Why would a TO refuse to allow reduction? Did they apply to take 90% off?