Stowe Gardens

arbwork

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cl3525 I believe curriculum still includes a unique element, classics? to Stowe School hopefully including the grounds, there is also a new looking rather good, all weather I think, athletic track hiding away in the grounds. Please feel free to add information if you wish. (edit! you beat me to it! )

Steve the Cedar just 1 of lot of interesting trees, incredible shape , I think most trees being established in parkland would have been removed if they had multi stems such as displayed or perhaps was damaged at an early age and let to grow on? Be good to find out,

s5.jpg.75558833a98a805a495c4ccbceac856c.jpg

s4.jpg.7fb462d492136007d9513a4334ecceae.jpg

s3.jpg.7bd6c562ae2b91f01474ce334d6f1890.jpg

s2.jpg.187c391cd831f741d89176538fb288f1.jpg

s1.jpg.e0d5818d16cb5fa8bf7fd2e13c45648b.jpg

Edited by arbwork

Really nice shots Jerry

Not been to Stowe, you portray it well enough to make me want to visit.

I'll have to add it to the list now :biggrin:

That (sweet chestnut?) coppice above looks a good size.

Wonder if it will ever get as near as big as this one, or perhaps just peel away as the stems get bigger.

image.jpg.9594808157140fcb346d31c8ec551382.jpg

David yes it is, yours sweeet sweet chestnut! a cracker that 1, I think it a good day out esp with family good picnic opportunity although new, last year, visitor center with facilities can provide . words by others describe :-

One of the finest Georgian landscape gardens extending over 400 acres, with valleys and vistas, lakes and rivers and more than 30 temples and monuments designed by many of the leading architects of the 18th century. Originally the concept of the first owner Viscount Cobham, the gardens at Stowe were continually extended and enhanced by many famous architects and designers, not least Capability Brown( who I think got married here), who was employed as Head Gardener there from 1741, though Charles Bridgeman had been responsible for the original landscape design.

S6.jpg.81e3baf3a63d051935e45a57c07fba23.jpg

S5.jpg.dfbbf89700b7a2ff242ff6241d25d72d.jpg

S4.jpg.f00285a9331c3e5175f9bf08fb08c158.jpg

S3.jpg.77017f8bf30431416bcac92db6c45139.jpg

S1.jpg.5f6969c94cc2a8cf48f5439f6138bb10.jpg

Lovely pictures. I like Stowe Landscape gardens great day out. Did you see the tea room/visitors center. I milled all those Larch beams, Felled a lot of it too.

As for the Ceder i thought parkland trees were ment to be large and open gown so i guess it was allowed to go all multi stemmed for dramatic effect.

Brushcutter hello I did have a look around the new center and was impressed with the building and architecture although I had a bit of a ? about what held what up? it looked like steel with wood beams bolted to it in places, I liked the overall woody look of the buildings although the lime wash or pale whitey finish was a bit questionable, good looking buildings and a good project for you to be involved in. I whished I'd found the old pub and yard for a depot!

Mike was up at Ashridge yesterday with family said it was well visited!

S1.jpg.aa61c0e99abe84cbd9c76617ca9af320.jpg

• 3 years later...