Thoughts on saw running problem

Pastonian

Now here is something I just don't understand .Somebody explain it if you can .

You Brits build some of the fastest two cycle motorcycles in the world .Fact is I often get my porting tips from British bike sites .Hows come nobody seems to know a blessed thing about souping up a chainsaw .? Is it just not done at all ?

I mean nothing derogatory by that question it's just something I've thought about for long time and never got an answer to .

Al

I've worked for three of the Worlds largest chainsaw mfg companies and in all that time have seen only a handful of hot saws in Europe at shows and demo's. The trade loves to hear and see shear power yet it never caught on in the UK albeit only a few bring out the odd machine at the largest shows.

Several years ago myself and a few colleagues fired up a Solo Twin at a show which brought a lot of attention, unfortunately this also brought the wrath of the HSE [Health & Safety Executive] as unlike the USA in shows like Louisville where you can try everything, we cannot expose trained operators to machines that they already make their livelihood from at shows !

We are not allowed to do most things you take for granted at shows, which i guess is a big reason hot saws aren't shown like they used to be back in the late 70's and early 80's.

Have you ever heard a tuned BP1 flat out or an 850 promac with an expansion chamber exhaust , jetted out and running on 10% octane booster with a 28" bar running custom skip tooth chain with the rakers taken off and sharpened to 37%, i'd like to see that against an 066 or 088 today.

Send us some links to the US racing associations websites.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is really no sanctioned saw racing things in the US .It's just a regional thing .

I wasn't really talking about an all out cookie cutter racer ,more so just what we on this side call a "woods ported " work saw . Compression raised ,ports retimed type of stuff that will run in a working type envioronment all day ,every day .

I just don't see it much in any place other than mostly the US and Canada and a little in Australia which is why I raised the question .Not a big deal ,more just my curiosity .

As far as sites for hot or racing type saws the only one I can thing of is Racesaws .com . Kind of an ornery bunch .Watch out for that fellow called Al Smith ,he's a bad one .:001_smile:

There is really no sanctioned saw racing things in the US .It's just a regional thing .

I wasn't really talking about an all out cookie cutter racer ,more so just what we on this side call a "woods ported " work saw . Compression raised ,ports retimed type of stuff that will run in a working type envioronment all day ,every day .

I just don't see it much in any place other than mostly the US and Canada and a little in Australia which is why I raised the question .Not a big deal ,more just my curiosity .

As far as sites for hot or racing type saws the only one I can think of is Racesaws .com . Kind of an ornery bunch .Watch out for that fellow called Al Smith ,he's a bad one .:001_smile:

Day off work today so stripped the saw down, removed and stripped down the carb gave it all a clean, visibly couldn't see anything wrong though. Put it all back together and alls good! Cut over 1/4 of a tonne of wood this afternoon and no sign of the previous problems at all, saw cut really well and confidence has been restored :001_cool:

Have got a free carb in the post to me from the supplier as well so will tuck that away for a rainy day :001_tongue:

Thanks to those that provided positive help on here and to those who could only see as far as stihl or husqvarna even if you cut one tree in 20 years, keep your expensive saws, my £78 saw now seems like it's more than adequate for the use it will get :001_tt2:

• 4 weeks later...

dont you just hate it when your gear lets you down..

went to a job ,gets out the saw (best one i have) its fully serviced and the fecker wont run right..

poor idleing and loss of power on revs..

mucks about with usuall spark plug-filter-screws and other things but still nothing...

so i use the older saw to do the job...

when i return home i get the good saw out to see whats up with it.... and guess what???? it starts and runs mint.........

makes you wonder?????:confused1::confused1::confused1:

Edited by log supplier

my husky dose the same sort of thing now and then and if i had seen the thread sooner i would have said try stripping and cleaning the carb

never mind atleast you got it sorted:001_smile: