Chogging

LumberJake

Hi All.

I am very new to all of this so forgive me if this is a silly question. I know when chogging (and whenever using a saw from rope and harness) you must have two points of attachment. I know that when chogging you use your mainline and your flipline but how do you exactly use your main line? It may sound strange but I am curious because it looks like you are too close to the trunk to have a large system. Any pics of your set ups would be a great help to if this is possible.

Hope I haven't made thet too confusing....

Cheers,

Jake

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I favour choking the line onto the stem with a bowline leaving a long tail to tug it down with and a soft locked figure 8, minimal clutter and a fast descent if I need to bail out.

On the odd occasion I dismantle proper multi stemmed stuff I might leave the pulley saver set on one and use the HC if I think I might be up and down a few times but generally it's just single line figure 8 with flipline & spikes by choice.

Okay cheers that was the rough idea that I had. I have seen this video and I was wondering if anyone could tell me the figure eight that the cutter is using? [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W08WlmOrmaY]Certified arborist, Jason Jones in action - YouTube[/ame]

Cheers,

Jake

I favour choking the line onto the stem with a bowline leaving a long tail to tug it down with and a soft locked figure 8, minimal clutter and a fast descent if I need to bail out.

On the odd occasion I dismantle proper multi stemmed stuff I might leave the pulley saver set on one and use the HC if I think I might be up and down a few times but generally it's just single line figure 8 with flipline & spikes by choice.

I have absolutely no idea what all that means:001_smile: (I know you love your bits and bobs Simon!)

I use my mainline nice and loose Under the flip line so in the (unlikely) event of cutting the flip line you have a back-up.

Not all the time mind just if for some reason I feel vulnerable.

On a straightforward chog, just the flipline.

I am not sure as I have not used that particular device, neither do I use the method shown in the vid. But I would assume it is similar to any other figure eight device with a soft lock.

I don't think you would need the fancy one to achieve the same result. Do you intend to "chog" with your mainline above your wire strop? I think you could bail just as quickly with it set up below and there is also less chance of cutting it!

In 18 years of climbing I have never seen that before, that is if I interpret your set up as identical to that on the vid.

I would have to get my trust in the figure of 8 first though, but that seems a lot simpler than attaching a main line and hitch to the stem. Where I often find I cant get good friction/secure positioning. But then again, I hate my spikes and often go for the peg route, when its only a short length of timber to chog.

Learnt a lot from that video, good find in my opinion.

Le sang, I too do the same as you, but on occasions I get twitchy that main line will pop off as I hand ball the lump off... sometimes easing large lumps up and over into a specified drop zone, not a free fall anywhere scenario. I try not to cut at head height when chogging and find myself level with the cuts.. Enables me to handle the section to be chucked better.

Its one off my big paranoia's about chogging.

Edited by jaime bray