What is this ?

hazzygawa

He means like a tree puts on prolific growth when it's heavily pruned,it 'panics'. The decease is finding an end to it's food source therefore sending out multiple brackets too produce more spores and ensure its existence on this panet.i believe it's called panick fruitification but don't quote me on that.

Jake:thumbup1:

What is the outcome? Time, and level of care, will tell. The woundwood forming on the edges are a good sign for the tree, as it's walling off its columns. The decay is confined to the sinus, and the tree stands on the buttresses, so the structure stands.

Is that the only area of concern in the tree? What's that white stuff under the buttress roots; chalky ground? The buttress on the right looks like a club foot. For a better prognosis, more examination is needed--what's going on down there?

re panicking, i'd be curious to see all those depleted resources. Hard to buy into that theory without more evidence. Fruiting bodies could pop up for all sorts of reasons.

re panicking, i'd be curious to see all those depleted resources. Hard to buy into that theory without more evidence. Fruiting bodies could pop up for all sorts of reasons.

well that woundwood is just the last uninterrupted vascular pathway, it may look like wound wood but its just growing, unlike the dead (necroses) beside it which also is a bark "sink" indicating intense degradation behind and cavitation in progress to become an open cavity IF the tree survives potential failure and can maintain enough function and more importantly fluid within those last active uninterrupted vascular pathways.

the evidence for the depleted resources are the bark sink, its there in the body language, VTA

"well that woundwood is just the last uninterrupted vascular pathway,

how do we know it's the last; have not seen 360 degrees (yet?)

" it may look like wound wood but its just growing,

yes it is growing in response to the wound made by fungal activity.

aka woundwood.

"unlike the dead (necroses) beside it which also is a bark "sink" indicating intense degradation behind and cavitation in progress to become an open cavity IF the tree survives potential failure and can maintain enough function and more importantly fluid within those last

again, all of the other columns may be intact and functional, so 'last' seeems a tad melodramatic.

"active uninterrupted vascular pathways.

the evidence for the depleted resources are the bark sink, its there in the body language, VTA

Yes thanks i agree the sunken area indicates *some* resources are depleted, but could this not be localised, and the entire tree system still be largely intact? and that area appears sunken relative to the raised area of woundwood/adaptive/reactive growth, so how sunken is it really? how intense is this degradation?

unti l the rest of the tree is assessed, the panic hypothesis as i understand it remains unproven.