FS400 Brushcutter was left in Rain

Starts and Runs fine

No drive to Cutter

Driveshaft stripped doen and is running free

Clutch looks rusty so cleaned it but juddery intermittant drive

How difficult to replace clutch]

looks like just 2 bolts

Worth a go go Clutch is £20

Yep. Remove the clutch cover with the two bolts. Clutch is under it. Then just pull clutch up and out.

When re fitting tighten down to 12nm or 8.8lbf.ft.

Does what i describe sound like the clutch

everything else works

the thing runs ok and the drive train is running free

Does what i describe sound like the clutch

everything else works

the thing runs ok and the drive train is running free

Yeah pretty much. Unlike a saw the clutch is more free floating. It's not fixed int he centre. There is a cover with two bolts holding it on. Remove these and the clutch is behind. Held on by bushes. The drum is behind the clutch.

If you have a vice clamp the engine in it and give it a run with the clutch on. Check the working end of the cutter to ensure its not at this end. So is the cutter working and free to move ok?

Ok. Could be the bushes holding the clutch on. They may be rusty and to allowing the clutch to expand under load. Take the clutch off give it all a good clean and check the drum isn't damaged. Inspect the springs aswell. Although normally its hard to see if they are worn but easy to see if one has snapped.

As Rich says, your fault will lie in the bushes which allow the shoes to pivot, they will have rusted onto the bolt. There may also be rust between the edges of the shoes and the retainer plates.. Remove the pivot bolts, noting the positions of the shoes and the washers each side. Clean and lubricate the bushes. Clean rust from the shoe edges and the retaining plates. Smear lightly with grease and reassemble.

DO NOT run the engine with the clutch fitted unless the drum is in place. The clutch will 'burst' and flying shrapnel will cause damage to anything and anyone near.

Found the Clutch was so badly rusted that i got myself a new one

Removed the 2 10mm Bolts but in doing so i snapped one off

In Order to fit the new Clutch i need to remove the bottom piece that the 2 Bolts fit into

i cannot seem to remove this

it is held on by a central bolt

Which i cannot move ( clockwise or anti to remove )

Any Suggestions as it would be any easy fix once this is off to replace the clutch assembly