Alaskan Mill Tips

liamjordan

Hello everyone, me and a mate form college are going to start doing some milling, we have the timber (suppiled by my grandad :P) and i have just ordered the mill and a ripping chain.

I got my hands on an old dolmar, which runs and cuts like a beast (100cc) but in the future i might get a ripping chain for the 090.

I would just like to know some tips people have about milling, you know things you have found out through expirence.

Thanks a lot!

Hello everyone, me and a mate form college are going to start doing some milling, we have the timber (suppiled by my grandad :P) and i have just ordered the mill and a ripping chain.

I got my hands on an old dolmar, which runs and cuts like a beast (100cc) but in the future i might get a ripping chain for the 090.

I would just like to know some tips people have about milling, you know things you have found out through expirence.

Thanks a lot!

get a metal detector, :001_smile:

Lay a ladder on top of the log first and run the jig on that to get the first cut nice and straight. keep the saw at the same angle all the way down and when you get to the end of the plank try and keep the saw nice and straight as the jig goes of the end of the log (it helps having the handle on the gig positioned in the centre of the log). Dont push the saw to much or you will cane your back and might knacker the saw. The planking gig killed our 880 but that was a good thing because it got replaced with a 3120 which is a much nicer saw.

Have fun:001_smile:

So far Ive learned to take it slow, use a sharp ripping chain and preferably 3/8 as it takes less material. I suppose if you manage to get one for the 090 you'd be flying. Ive now got a 084 so will see where i get with that. Ive also got an aux. oil reservoir at the other end to the chainsaw too, running a 56" bar.

What length bar are you going to use/alaska mill length?

H

Lay a ladder on top of the log first and run the jig on that to get the first cut nice and straight. keep the saw at the same angle all the way down and when you get to the end of the plank try and keep the saw nice and straight as the jig goes of the end of the log (it helps having the handle on the gig positioned in the centre of the log). Dont push the saw to much or you will cane your back and might knacker the saw. The planking gig killed our 880 but that was a good thing because it got replaced with a 3120 which is a much nicer saw.

Have fun:001_smile:

yeah im gunna use a ladder, got the idea from the guy who runs this - http://www.alaskanmill.co.uk/

drilled some holes in a 12ft lader yesturday so i can screw it onto the logs

So far Ive learned to take it slow, use a sharp ripping chain and preferably 3/8 as it takes less material. I suppose if you manage to get one for the 090 you'd be flying. Ive now got a 084 so will see where i get with that. Ive also got an aux. oil reservoir at the other end to the chainsaw too, running a 56" bar.

What length bar are you going to use/alaska mill length?

H

to start with im gunna be using a 25" bar, mainly so i dont have to get a new bar yet and the timber that i have got lined up isnt very big.

Hey mate,

What sort of time was it taking per pass? I was using a husky 61 on mine, and it would take roughly 20mins to do a pass 16ft , 16" wide. Ive now got a 084, and hopefully this weekend will be able to see how much faster it is.

H

Hey mate,

What sort of time was it taking per pass? I was using a husky 61 on mine, and it would take roughly 20mins to do a pass 16ft , 16" wide. Ive now got a 084, and hopefully this weekend will be able to see how much faster it is.

H

12" wide, 6ft long, well less than a minute

once i've had a bit more practise gunna use the 090 on it xD