best electric only heating system?

Bald Monkey

As the title says which is the best electric only heating system? Recently moved into our new house and the village has no gas and the house currently has storage heaters. We have just received out first bill for 3 weeks and this was a mighty £143 :thumbdown: We intend to get a wood burner fitted in the future but would also like to maybe get some of these new electric radiators fitted but there are so many out there with varying reviews on economy and performance. Just wondered if anyone has any experience they can share. The wife doesn't want to go down the oil route because of the hassle of having pipes etc fitted and making a mess of the house.

Cheers guys and girls :thumbup1:

Direct electric heating is basically all the same. 100% electric gets turned into heat, how the radiator distributes it varies but still the same amount of energy. My only other suggestion would be a heat pump either ground or air sourced as these use electricity to scavenge heat from elsewhere. I presume the storage heaters are on economy 7 or 10 as this will reduce the cost greatly. Try to improve your insulation as this is probably going to work out the cheapest way to keep you warm in the long run.

depends how much you can afford. but if i was starting from scratch i would go the biomass boiler route makes all the heat and hot water you want. and if you can get cordwood for nowt cheap heating farm heat or dragon are two who sell them.

or LPG gas tank cost nothing for tank just got to get trench dug for pipe and get a lpg boiler i have a remeha very good boiler lpg at present 43p a ltr use 3000 ltrs a year for cooking and heating.

or underfloor heating like a mat with wires running through lay it on boards and put wooden floor on top.

solar can do electric and hot water.

at end of day how much have you to spend. if i had 7k spare biomass for me

Unless you have large rooms, I would be careful if you buy storage heaters with a fan in them. The fan can be slightly noisy and it increases the maintenance on what could be a zero maintenance storage heater system. Electric storage heating can be cheap to install, though some of the newer high tech heaters might be quite expensive. If you are not around all day to feed a wood burner, then I reckon storage heaters with a wood burner in a main room as a top up would be a good solution.

Might be worth exploring an air source heat pump. Have a look at the Dimplex products.

We have been installing a system in university halls to replace storage heaters into the same location.

We did a trial floor in Manchester and proved a saving in excess of 60% and fitted 650 of them in Luton last summer.

I'll pm you my details and if you want to give me a call I can give you some more info and put you in touch with someone you can buy them through who will give you a decent discount....

we have been looking at these, the testimonials seem to be ok but I never know whether to believe them!

Electric Radiators & Electric Heating | The Economy Radiator Company

The biomass route is a no but I will look at the air source heat pumps.

WorcWuss, what type of heaters are they, can you let me have a website to look at?

Cheers

we have been looking at these, the testimonials seem to be ok but I never know whether to believe them!

WorcWuss, what type of heaters are they, can you let me have a website to look at?

Cheers

Those heaters on that link do not look like storage heaters that would be cheap to run on Eco7. They look like ordinary convection heaters. Something like this would be better IMHO:-

INSTALLED HEATING - STORAGE HEATERS

Cheers

They just look like electric panel heaters with a built in thermostat. It looks like they are not convector heaters, and so act more like oil-filled radiators.

As Woodworks pointed out, ALL electric heaters are 100% efficient. The only difference is how they deliver the heat.

Cheers

Wouldn't touch them. Better to have night storage like Andrews link as then you can use a cheaper tariff.