What to do with an old Tulip Tree

hplp

Afternoon all,

This is more of a question/search for advice.

We have an old tulip tree at the bottom of the garden that is starting to severely die back and the main trunk and main branches are severely rotten on the inside. The tree is still showing some growth in the middle and also one or 2 vigorous stems coming up from the bottom but the upper branches are dead/decaying.

What would you do with it? If I can avoid it, id rather not take it out completely but would like to preserve it as much as possible but when dead branches start falling off, something has to be done!

The tree is located in sight of the sea facing SW.

I'll try and get some photos up later as to the extent of the problem and where its located.

I have access to chainsaws etc, so not too much of a problem working on it.

Any comments would be great!

H

Hi I have looked up problems with Liriodendron Tulipifera, most put it down to different types of canker. The advice given was to prune out infected areas. If it has large areas of dead im not sure if it is off to tree heaven. Put some pics up and we will see what everyone thinks:gasthrower::gasthrower::gasthrower:

Fantastic location hplp.

There are others on here who could offer much better advice than myself, but from my little knowledge and experience I don't see why you need to fell it, you could deadwood it, okay it's going to transform the shape of it and it might look a bit wierd for a while until you get used to it, but if you want to reduce the risk....

There's some new growth there too, so providing there isn't some serious underlying disease it doesn't seem unreasonable to allow it to progress as it is, just manage it to reduce hazard (seemingly from deadwood), keep an eye out for signs of fungi (particularly honey fungus) and you could maybe look into feeding it / applying seaweed extract, or you could try something like this http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=2847

Maybe someone more experienced will come along and advise further.

Enjoy that view! :001_smile:

Many thanks Arob,

Any comments are useful! The only thing is that all the deadwood is also very full of worm. The saw cuts are from last weekend when i decided I really had to take some of the dead branches out.

My main concern is with the fungus in the attached photo.

(Sorry all, being a forester, I stupidly never grasped fungal ID!)

H

Untitled-1.jpg.1afe0f455ced101a8f97df6c43f8f1ec.jpg

Thats a cool tree!

Maybe you could just reduce the width in a little and shorten any long dead limbs.

The fungi looks like its lliving on the dead wood, buts its hard to tell from the photo.

The tree might benifit from not mowing under the drip line, you could make a small wildlife oasis. Unmown grass and brambles are in vouge:001_smile:

Hmmm, tis a lovely spot for sure.

What are the targets? Is it private garden or a public area? I see the (poor) footy nets so presume there are children around.

Remove the deadwood if it is to be a threat to people otherwise leave it for nature to take it's course maybe. Shortening or reducing is good idea to take the weight out of the branches to avoid them braking off.

There are a number of ways you could manage this tree. Imo.

Retrenchment pruning?

Nice tree hplp...looks like a lovely place to do some tree work.

Well, the tree is certainly dying back and exhibits symtpoms typcially associated with a root or butt disease, possibly induced through compaction as the primary cause of its initial decline, resulting in a weakened specimen intorducing an infection/attack from a pathogenic fungi.

The fungus shown in the picture above appears to be, as stated by 'Phenom', growing on the exposed heartwood/dead wood of the tree and i would say it was some sort of Stereum (spp.)

I would be tempted to check for common signs of root fungi i.e. one example: honey fungus- rhizomorphs, sapwood staining, fruit bodies in late summer/autumn etc. In terms of remedial pruning, like many others have stated, start some retrenchment pruning, as the lower crown appears to contain the majority of the live growth. Reduce the length of the dead wood, retaining some for ecological purposes.

Hope this helps a little...

Afternoon all,

Thanks for your comments,

I'll try and answer some of them.......

The tree is located at the end/over to the side of the garden. It is relatively open, in terms of it being a rectory garden so there are occasionally events in the garden, children playing footy etc but any of the branches that have fallen off have fallen between it and the wall. Id much prefer to manage than remove which is what the responce would be round here in Ireland.

I can probabily leave some deadwood but as soon as it fell out the tree it would be cleared up and burnt in the fire before it distroyed the lawnmower! I cant get away with fencing it off and allowing wildlife as unfortunately its just too open/visable. I might but the parents certainly wouldnt!

Compaction wise, horses have been kept for short terms in a fenced area between it and the fence at the end but the ground there is not too compacted. Otherwise, sheep occasionally graze the lawn but not to such an extent that the grass is distroyed. i have to fight these wooly-maggots on a regular basis when getting new trees away. They eat anything!

Excuse my ignorance, by retrenchment pruning, I take it you mean removal of all the longer/dead branches?

I havnt noticed much in the way of fungal bodies, apart from those shown in the photos but i recon there was an ants nest in one of the lateral branches and there is the extensive woodworm.

Theres not alot more that can be done I take it?

Many thanks,

H