Rope swing

cordwood

I've a regular customer with a big Wellingtonia in his garden, at some point a rope swing has been looped round a limb, this has been there for a long time as the tree has started to grow around the rope. The rope is about 2/3 inch in diameter and my customer want's to remove the swing. Obviously the removal of the rope will reveal a large wound on the limb. What do you fella's think is the best thing to do totally remove the offending rope exposing the cambium, or cut the rope allowing the rope to loosen as the limb grow's obviously he doesn't want to have to remove the limb altogether. Any suggestion's would be usefull!

Can you take a picture of it and post it in this thread? it may be that the branch needs removed as the rope might have created a structurally weak point in the branch, as the branch grows bigger and puts on more end weight it may fail. Are there any targets under the branch? kids play area etc?

Take a good sharp knife, like the Petzl Spaetha that you keep on your harness, and make a number of small cuts in the rope. It will then fall apart as the branch grows. That's what I did at the weekend with the rope on the swing on my holm oak.

Don't 'rip' it out if embedded, as you might do a lot of damage. On hte bright side, most wellingtonia branches don't thicken dramatically, so perhaps no major damage..and most could lose a branch or two without trouble.