Stump grinding

truman sparks

Hi,

Im looking at setting up a grinding service for small to medium set ups who dont do their own stumps. I was looking to buy a 13hp small grinder for day to day domestic work and hire in a larger one (20hp self propelled type) for the bigger stuff and multiple stump jobs.

I am only looking to run it a couple of days a week at first and grow as the business does, after 6 months i will then look at upgrading equipment as needed.

I am hoping to get some feedback/advice from you guys as to if this sounds reasonable, I will do an operating qualification but run it solo. also wondered how much insurance is likely to be.

I know its alot to answer, but i might as well ask those in the know! All advice welcome,

cheers,

truman

have a look at this

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/afag606.pdf

then think about a Ground services scanner C.A.T

+ also some sort of screen Or deflection board as breakages can out way the job

http://www.arbtalk.co.uk/showthread.php?t=334

We do our own stumps as mainly we got ripped by an outsider who we used before for any stumps who promised to not try nicking our tree clients ( scum )

we have a mobile pedestrian stumpy with hyd drive & a meaty kohler engine

My advice for what its worth -

Forget the little 13hp grinders, they're rubbish. Buy an Alpine magnum, awsome piece of kit for something so small. you can carry it through houses, work in the tightest of locations, and keep it on the back of a tiny van or car. I have seen guys take out 4ft stumps with the magnum. Global equipment supply have a really good deal on them complete with 99cc solo powerhead.

As I build stumpgrinders, I may be biased in the next piece of advice -

Consider one of our Hornet pro EX models. The 38 hp grinder is half the price of even the cheapest 25hp machine, and is extremely effective.

You get the advantage of owning your own powerfull grinder without the large overhead - just hire in the minidigger as you need it.

http://www.arbtalk.co.uk/showthread.php?t=599

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-5955085311641994062&q=stumpgrinder&total=8&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=1

That way, your not hiring some crappy hire grinder with dull teeth and a saggy engine.

Just my humble opinion.

Thanks for your comments,

so do we agree an alpine magnum to buy and rent in something for heavier jobs will be enough to start with?

One thing im not sure of with the magnum is that i am alittle concerned of the safety side compared to a traditional 13hp. if it hit a nail could it flick up or off the stump etc?

Yes roller, luckily i have a business at the mo (not trees!) so it wouldent be my main source of income but i have a couple of contacts so could get a day or 2 to start, with the idea being to build it slowly.

I couldent find the company "global equipment supply" anyone got a link and know what price these cost?

cheers

truman