Rope Runner

The RW is not for primary life support any more than a prussik minding pulley. Although it would be great to pick up a certified, pre-packaged RW climb pack, ie hitch, wrench and tether I don't know how relevant that would be. I've met plenty of arborists who all use different climb styles, harnesses and gear and its very rarely a one size fits all equation. Its also not a certifiers job or kevins to make sure a climber can configure their RW or tie their friction hitch. If anything I would say SRTWP is going off, not in a rut?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mason, the Wrench concept is not analogous to a slack minding pulley. In any way.

For descent the Wrench is PPE. An ascent that un-intentionally turns to descent can be aided by a well tethered Wrench, ie the motion of the Wrench is akin to the carressing motion when setting a hitch - so is PPE. Just because the Wrench can become neutral doesn't mean that it is non-PPE.

A heavily locked hitch (or even melted hitch) caused by a Wrench not engaging automatically could result in complicating a rescue scenario. It could and of course there are ways around a melted hitch but the fact must not be negated...it could.

I too apologise for de-railing..

So what your saying softbank is the RW should come with a preferred length tether and hitch cord with instructions on how to tie the recommended hitch? My ZK 2 came with all that information, just not the physical tether or hitch cord ..or instructions on how to tie a vt.

As for melted hitch anyone with a spare crab can munters hitch their way out of that..

Have you seen a drop test on a footlock prussik?

Im so happy that people are engaging with single line work positioning. I got dissed many times when I took my Uni to UK arb shows 5 odd years back, some people became very heated and mistrustful. The zk1 opened things up cause it was so cheap and it worked so well. From the zk1 ideas for rope wrench set-up have evolved, would you go back to using a floppy rope tether?

SRWP tools have to achieve certified status.

It should come with a non-flopping tether which would be designed for a specific pulley and be tested with a specific hitch and cord.

Im so happy that people are engaging with single line work positioning...

Yes, indeed. Interesting discussion. I would like to see a load rating on the RW but not a CE or EN if it limited the possibilities of its use. I would be happy just knowing it was up to par with the rest of my climbing gear. Think of all the complex configurations that a carabiner can be used for in life support with just a few guide lines in its proper use. Ratings should give us peace of mind without limiting potential.

Dave

Happy to have the wrench and srtwp in the tool kit. Always wanted to run the uni but cost was prohibitive. I too would like to see it more readily accepted as an energy efficient means of climbing by the governing bodies as opposed to a sketchy fringe fad. All srtwp practitioners know the benefits and i wouldn't say it replaces ddrt entirely but I wouldn't be without srtwp.

:)

How about that awesome looking rope runner.. :)

Go Kev !!

Could quite easily make rated tethers out of 6mm globe folded 4 ways and machine stitched and heat shrinked for the HC pulley. They could do 8mm ocean polyester for the pinto. Job done. Just needs a company with a stitching machine to jump on it!

Oh and the rope runner looks awesome Kevin! Would love to have a go on one mate, I love shiny new things :)

Could quite easily make rated tethers out of 6mm globe folded 4 ways and machine stitched and heat shrinked for the HC pulley. They could do 8mm ocean polyester for the pinto. Job done. Just needs a company with a stitching machine to jump on it!

Oh and the rope runner looks awesome Kevin! Would love to have a go on one mate, I love shiny new things :)

Didnt Kevin mention that Sherrill is working on their own RopeWrench tether ?

Apparently the RW is not in the recent Sherril, something about Sherril wanting to be able to offer a proper RopeWrench specific tether ready for system.

I like thei dea of a 'package', a'la the HitchHiker, that Softbank is proposing, and understand where he is coming from in that regards.

Things need to be codified, accept it, we live in a litigious type of world.

Also in order for corporate to get behind anything, they have to be able to market it, and IMHO it seems like it would be easier to market a system, as opposed to a single piece of gear for a system.

It would also take a lot of the confusion for SRT Newbs if the RW was offered in a 'certified', or even just an 'official kit' with specific tether, pulley, and connections etc, etc... Perhaps a series of lengths available for hitch and tether cords to be more accomadating to differing styles and sizes for climbers ?

Would go a long way to simplify the first tentative steps into SRT, no ? Just thinking out loud here basically, so take with pinch of salt please.

As for SRT being stuck in a rut ??

Dont see that, but Im a newb myself, not looking at it from a vets perspective ?

But too me it looks like development of new gear is booming and systems are being refined and streamlined more and more.

Very interesting stuff.

One doesnt always get the chance to see new products as they go through R&D and into manufacture and production. Arborists seem to be a pretty creative bunch and we have been lucky to experience this severral times over.

great stuff on the RopeRunner Kevin, look forward to seeing the production version when it hits the market.

Stay safe all have a great week.

Edited by Grais