Hydrating

Warren Stirling

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One of the best things to remember is to be really well hydrated before ascending.

The trick to being well hydrated on the day starts well in advance, every night when you get home (over the course of the night, not in a one'er) drink at least 2 pints of water / weak squash, on your days off supp water continuously, if your pee is ever yellow your loosing the battle and need mair water. if you hydrate well in advance humans can last quite a while without taking in water, however do not underestimate the effects of even slight dehydration on concentration and fatigue.

Like le Sang says, program your groundie, get a small canvas bag with a little bina attatched and hey presto, acropetal Evian, Buxton, tap water, whatever you prefer.

To be realy swish, you could get one of those small fridges that plug into the fag lighter socket! These also double up as very impressive beer/cider chillers.

Jonny

It's about being organised, I wear a camel pack most of the year, I make sure I always have a few litres of water in the vehicles.

I used to be too impatient to bother then struggle, mainly because I had staff and would see the money clock ticking away.

Now that I mostly work alone as my work has changed I make sure I have plenty of food and water at all times. I have made some very poor desicions being dehydrated and hungry!

I use a small camelbak when its very hot or if I'm really exposed to the sun. A chest strap is required to stop the should straps falling off when climbing around.

Not read all this thread so not sure if this has been covered, but remember that Dehydration is a medical condition that requires hospital. Anything before that is just called being thirsty.

Theres a lot of BS about letting yourself get dehydrated and that once it happens its too late to correct it etc. its all rubbish. Your not getting dehydrated your just thirsty so you drink, your body will tell you this and you will drink enough. Its all part of the marketing scam that companies use to get us to buy special drinks that replenish this that and the other, its all crap, water will do, and your evening meal will replenish everything else.

But yes, use a camelbak or have a bottle on you harness that can be replaced when necessary, and you will work better for it.

Good advise Paul, I do try and make that a habit but on those hot days I can feel myself getting clumsy very quickly through dehydration so a constant top-up is in order I think.

Through thirst mate, not dehydration! Like someone said above humans can go a long way without water, but dehydration will occur eventually, if you thirsty have a drink.

If we are hungry we are not starving? Same as with water, if we are thirsty we drink, but we are not dying!

The trick to being well hydrated on the day starts well in advance, every night when you get home (over the course of the night, not in a one'er) drink at least 2 pints of water / weak squash, on your days off supp water continuously, if your pee is ever yellow your loosing the battle and need mair water. if you hydrate well in advance humans can last quite a while without taking in water, however do not underestimate the effects of even slight dehydration on concentration and fatigue.

What so if its ever yellow I'm dying? Losing the battle for what?

I agree thirst effects concentration in the same way as hunger does, eat and drink is good, but dont let your self believe there is some kind of battle that you have to prepare for, its not life and death.

Another way of thinking about it is this, a hangover is mild dehydration, thats all. So starting work on a hot day with a hangover is probably not good, but even then with some water during the day most will be fine, and with a serious hangover you really wouldnt want to go to work but with a few cups of tea or drinks of water most hangovers dont lead to actuall dehydration requiring medical attention.