Quercus x hispanica 'Fulhamensis'

David Humphries

If the soil is compressing the roots it can sufforcate them. Have you done a soil test.If water is traped under the soil the roots can rot back you would get die back.

Some thing is causing stress to the tree which has allowed fungi to grow.

Im no expert on this

Maybe passed storms have created internal cracks which have been compartmentlized and decayed.

:scared:

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

footpath you say, then decompact the root zone, I would. Think holistic ,why did the tree become a host for honey fungus in the first place.

It looks like it backs onto a woodland which suggests the Honey fungus has always been around, so did the tree becomed stressed and weakened through drought allowing the honey fungus to take advantage?

It looks like it backs onto a woodland which suggests the Honey fungus has always been around, so did the tree becomed stressed and weakened through drought allowing the honey fungus to take advantage?

Correct.

The Avenue does back on to woodland where there are loads of decaying standing and fallen dead trunks.

I dont feel that compaction is the real problem here.

Unfortunately since noting armillaria on the first tree, we had discovered it on the next three along the line.

Going to prove that this pathogen is probably everywhere in THIS ENVIRONMENT.

footpath you say, then decompact the root zone, I would. Think holistic ,why did the tree become a host for honey fungus in the first place.

so did the tree becomed stressed and weakened through drought allowing the honey fungus to take advantage?

Guys, don't underestimate how good Armillaria is at doing its thing. Very virulent pathogen, esp. A. mellea.

It's entirely possible that there was no primary cause. Armillaria is the commonest root disease in the world for a reason!

Even olympic athletes get cancer.

Morbid analogy of the year award goes to Tony.

Ok, is this right? A. mellea will attack and kill live tissue? but we're still are not sure how it enters the tree....roots via soil or entry through wound etc.

If the trees are stressed through drought surely this makes it easier for A. mellea to enter?

The trees are sitting up high although the driplines extend far beyond the rise the trees grow from so they should have enough coverage for moisture take-up unless the drought was particularly bad?

If the trees are left alone with no management will they fight off the infection? if you start pruning - opening fresh wounds and disturbing the soil by decompaction methods will the decline be more rapid?

Guys, don't underestimate how good Armillaria is at doing its thing. Very virulent pathogen, esp. A. mellea.

It's entirely possible that there was no primary cause. Armillaria is the commonest root disease in the world for a reason!

Very true Tony, I was thinking the same whilst writing the post, but didn't write it.

Telhol could be right though, drought, ie back to soil compaction. I would bring in the soil-pick and verticly mulch the root zone very carefully.

If the tree warrented the expenditure

I would bring in the soil-pick and verticly mulch the root zone very carefully.

Wont that damage the fibrous feeder roots which have already been damaged by drought? Surely these small roots will be attempting to rejuvenate themselves after being stressed by the drought?

Wont that damage the fibrous feeder roots which have already been damaged by drought? Surely these small roots will be attempting to rejuvenate themselves after being stressed by the drought?

Notice the word carefully grasshopper, one hole per every 2-3 square feet will help the tree big time ie get some oraganic matter in the root zone and let the worms do the rest :proud: don't go taking to much notice of some of the wallys using an air-pick, I saw Bartletts in action at Capel one year, they called it decompaction, they decompacted the tree allright i'm suprised the tree didn't fall over lol..