Bogged Crawler, self rescue thereof

difflock

Gee Logbaron, thats not wet, seriously, actually currently very dry, by what it usually is.

All 40 acres not any different, just the depth of bog beneath the surface varies.

The wettest ground was planted as it was fit for little else.

Though there are small patches of dead sand/ consolidated gravel here an there, perhaps where the Peat was totally cut away.

Cheers

Marcus

I seen the dipper arm of a 13 tonne Hitchi digger pushed down to its limit, without any sign of a solid bottom, where I was excavating a new sheaugh.

Yet not 50m away was the County road on hard ground with a new house on ordinary footings (cos I witnessed it being constructed) betwixt an between.

Edited by difflock

See photos att

Improvised 10 tonne rescue snatch block constructed from

(i) A pully wheel off a 1943 Army spec snatch block rescued from Skip

(ii) 2 No white front grill support brackets off a 1984 DB 1490

(iii) 2 No Army chains off a Landrover tow strop (cost £20.00)

(iv) 2 bolts rescued from the skip at random over the years

(v) Desperate ingenuity.

Just to complicate my rescue attempts the brand new fitted that morning check chain failed, temporary repair effected with a used swing shackle.

This failure in turn pulled off the inner end of the opposite link arm, sheared the Lynch Pin I suspect.

Both these unsuitable Lynch Pins now replaced with 8.8 spec nylocked bolts.

Well done

Great to see determination to succeed and get free.

Or good effort on making a suitable challenge to practice self recovery ;-)

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

My next project is to rig a couple (or 4) of guide pullies so as to allow me to winch myself forward, with the winch on the back, I had seriously looked at removing the front windscreen glass and rigging the wire straight through the cab as with this set up forward recovery would have been more straightforward.

The winch on the back makes a wonderful self setting anchor, unless a high anchor point can be rigged to winch toward with sufficient lift to counteract this designed in tendancy.

I am also mulling how best to (semi permenantly) mount the winch higher, with a drop down anchor spade controlled by the otherwise redundant link arms.

I like tinkering.

It beats werking.

Thanks for your interest, and btw I did NOT set out to self-bog:001_rolleyes:

Marcus

Edited by difflock