Cost of log stores

Axholme

Who's your target market? Would they know the difference between untreated wood, treated wood (like that cheap crap they spray on cheap sheds) and tanalised wood? If not they would be going on price if two stores "look" the same.

How many woodstore buyers out of 10 a) would recognize tanalised wood b) are going to want to pay for the quality it needs to be for it to last 15 yrs?

Given the relatively small size of these stores, it is unlikely knowledgeable buyers who use wood for primary heat would want one of that cost/quality IMO, which leaves unknowledgeable (is that a word?) buyers who installed a woodburner because it's "green" or because it looks good when they light it only on public holidays, now there's probably a lot of those folks about, but would those folks recognize the difference between your posh 1.8cu £315 store, and a crap 2cu M £120 treated softwood store?

ignore me I'm a cynic :lol:

This is what I've just started to think. At these prices they have to be targeted at the wealthier customer. I could build a cheaper version but it worries me that it might not be up to standard and that's a good reputation gone.

I've spoken to a few garden centres, they appreciate the quality but they want to know that they will sell. I can't even tell them which is the best seller.

I wonder if it's the wrong time of year. I thought people might be planning to get logs into storage but I know most are last minute and I may have to wait until September to see things moving again.

We are building a website so that will help get the word out.

I think someone mentioned about working costs out and adding profit. I appreciate that but that comment has always infuriated me. When someone asks the question as to what a product/service should cost it is market research and part of trying to find out if the price in mind is cheap/expensive and where in the price range their product/service fits. I don't mean to offend but it's what I used to hear all the time from bank managers and business advisors.

Business advisers and bank managers might have a valid point though mate, I'd suggest you do some basic market research, search ebay for a start, over 400 came up just on "log store" plenty of competition, search the sellers history and/or completed listings, see whats selling and how your products fit in the range available, then move onto google/craigs list/specific site etc.

An ebay shop might be a good way to test the market before you invest time/money in a website.

A day spent searching the web could well provide the answers you need to make an informed decision on products/prices etc.

Hope that helps!

Business advisers and bank managers might have a valid point though mate, I'd suggest you do some basic market research, search ebay for a start, over 400 came up just on "log store" plenty of competition, search the sellers history and/or completed listings, see whats selling and how your products fit in the range available, then move onto google/craigs list/specific site etc.

An ebay shop might be a good way to test the market before you invest time/money in a website.

A day spent searching the web could well provide the answers you need to make an informed decision on products/prices etc.

Hope that helps!

There are a lot on Ebay to varying standards and I'm obviously biased but I want to build quality and be at the top end of the market, not really for high value financially but more for the build.

No worries with the website as we are having it built for the company as a whole so it's not really money being put into it just for log stores.

Could you give the option of cheaper un treated and more expensive treated on an initial low volume run , see which sold the best and go with that one . ?

I agree. I'm going to have to build some with the untreated timber. It would be foolish to say we wouldn't build anything else except what you see. My problem is being able to change ideas in my mind......once I've gone down one route it's hard to deviate.

Change.......embrace it :blushing:

I agree. I'm going to have to build some with the untreated timber. It would be foolish to say we wouldn't build anything else except what you see. My problem is being able to change ideas in my mind......once I've gone down one route it's hard to deviate.

Change.......embrace it :blushing:

This works for me ....

DSCF0037.jpg.f6cedb2f2bd28f984c0412a44f9c17cc.jpg