Honda Quad spares

Pat Ferrett

Hi all I have bought an old 250cc 2wd Honda quad and none of the local motor cycle shops want to touch it :confused1:, it smokes badly on start up but clears some what when used so Im thinking its either a gasket or the valve seals or worst case the rings.

Do any of you guys know of a firm that will stock the parts off the shelf ie piston, gaskets and seals plus any advice.

Even better would be contact details for a firm that will sort the problems on it so I dont have to get my hands oily.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can look at for you bud. I think I will owe you a pint anyway.

Depends on model and year. The old trx quads are hard to source parts for. I had to use ebay and get from America.

It sounds like valves and once warm they create a seal. If they are just worn the can be re ground, a comp test will eliminate this problem. Doe it drop in oil after running? Also could be down to running. How does it run on tickover and pickup?

Most dealers won't touch the old ones as parts are obsolete. So you have to go non genuine route.

The head and valves can be a real pain to take apart and get back on again. The timing gear is a pain. Chain driven sprockets means trying to time it up is fidly and time consuming. Simple valve grinding kits are available easily enough.

A trx350 I had to rebuild a while ago as it would stall out after warming up and not start until cold. Needed oversize piston and rings as Honda parts obsolete.

image.jpg.58779fe30c14d5fe5c84615a5f9c9933.jpg

Hi pat, what model no is quad, my bro in law works for Honda, so if we can get part /engine nos he will tell me if available. I work on Honda engines a lot and never struggle with parts. I would say trying to get a manual online should be your first step. Manual for engine not quad.

I can look at for you bud. I think I will owe you a pint anyway.

Depends on model and year. The old trx quads are hard to source parts for. I had to use ebay and get from America.

It sounds like valves and once warm they create a seal. If they are just worn the can be re ground, a comp test will eliminate this problem. Doe it drop in oil after running? Also could be down to running. How does it run on tickover and pickup?

Most dealers won't touch the old ones as parts are obsolete. So you have to go non genuine route.

The head and valves can be a real pain to take apart and get back on again. The timing gear is a pain. Chain driven sprockets means trying to time it up is fidly and time consuming. Simple valve grinding kits are available easily enough.

A trx350 I had to rebuild a while ago as it would stall out after warming up and not start until cold. Needed oversize piston and rings as Honda parts obsolete.

I have ordered a battery and intend on giving it a blat on the farm to check out the gears and brakes, Its 250 mile round trip to Dover from here so if it just seems to be engine ill get a price to stick it on a pallet and send it down.

Hi pat, what model no is quad, my bro in law works for Honda, so if we can get part /engine nos he will tell me if available. I work on Honda engines a lot and never struggle with parts. I would say trying to get a manual online should be your first step. Manual for engine not quad.

Not sure of the model Muttley it has a central head light rather than the normal head lights and cast under the Honda badge it just says special,

Cheers for the offer of helping with parts but might just let Rich crack on with it.

I have ordered a battery and intend on giving it a blat on the farm to check out the gears and brakes, Its 250 mile round trip to Dover from here so if it just seems to be engine ill get a price to stick it on a pallet and send it down.

Ok. Get some details form it. Should find most of it on the front bars under the plastics and lights. Near the rad protection screen. If it has one.

There should be a sticker with the model, year and any variant it is like the "d"

Have a look and let us know, some are just too old. :lol::lol:

Everything's fixable one way or another. :thumbup:

Also check it has original Honda quad engine on it aswell and its not been replaced with some Chinese copy. On the engine cooling fins below spark plug there should be the cc of the engine stamped into them. If this isn't apparent it could be a copy engine.

Ok. Get some details form it. Should find most of it on the front bars under the plastics and lights. Near the rad protection screen. If it has one.

There should be a sticker with the model, year and any variant it is like the "d"

Have a look and let us know, some are just too old. :lol::lol:

Everything's fixable one way or another. :thumbup:

Also check it has original Honda quad engine on it aswell and its not been replaced with some Chinese copy. On the engine cooling fins below spark plug there should be the cc of the engine stamped into them. If this isn't apparent it could be a copy engine.

Its air cooled so no rad and it has 250 stamped on the cylinder,

Its air cooled so no rad and it has 250 stamped on the cylinder,

Ok. Sounds like an old one then.

The bigger had an oil cooler on them. Seems like your hasn't, not a problem.

Have a tool look around the front of the frame for the numbers. They may or may not be there but worth checking.

If you do send anything down to me check it turns over ok. I can bench test the engine but need the important parts like starter etc.

An acquaintance of mine bought an old Honda atv, thinking its a nice cheap machine. He budgeted for around £200 to sort it. It needed a new exhaust, now obsolete, to cut about a different one and make it fit used most of the £200, then it needed other bits. Generally, they're sold on because they're old and knackered, and not cost effective to repair. I just replaced all the front end bushes with new genuine parts, cost me best part of £200, plus paid my lad for fitting. Money doesn't go far on machines.