ms 241 vs ms 201

a "mate " of mine has just finished a hardwood coppice job (up to 15 cm dia) and was moaning in the pub about not making any money.it turns out he was using a 70 cc jonsered 20inch bar ! :stupido3: so ive got a chance of picking up the job next winter so 241 vs 201? please don't suggest a husky as the sales support here in my part of Spain is crap ( 2 weeks to get a brake band + €12.00 postage)

• 3 weeks later...

It really depends on what other saws you run and whether you'd want to press a new saw into any other work.

I run rear handled 200's and a 201 (14" / picco) for coppicing and scrub work, for which they're excellent. I also run 200 top handles so like the fact that many parts are the same, making common spares and interchangeability a big plus. The 201 hasn't been great, what with its hesitant throttle (even when warm) but I think Stihl have got on top of this issue now. If your just after a light weight coppicing saw then this would be it. In addition if your already running a 50-60cc saw then it'd make sense to get the 201.

As for the 241 i've had one for a few months now (again running 14" / picco) and it's light enough for use all day on scrub and coppicing but it's got enough umph for other stuff - it's a weapon on snedding and small softwood thinning. If you want more versatility and the option to tackle larger stuff than coppice then go for the 241.

Not used the 201 but the 200 rear handle is fantastic for coppice work on hedges and the like, the handle is really versatile to position the saw in a very ergonomic way. Used a 241 for a couple of hours last week and have to say I love it, will be replacing my 346xp with one when it goes to the husqy scrap heap in the sky!

I would have both given the choice (ms200 not 201) but if it was a straight choice...................................................... 241 :thumbup1: