Grinder pocket torque settings?

Gary Prentice

Has anyone got any settings for these pockets. The bolts are M16. We have, yet more, problems with the hex bolts rounding off when loosening, despite regular replacements, so suspect they are being over-tightened to begin with.

Also, is there a normal configuration of left/right and straight finger teeth. Working on this machine today, I've found that the operator has substituted handed teeth all round. No straight at all.

image.jpg.8a0fdca8fa4e58b7fbd9ce17ce30665c.jpg

I don't bother with straight either, doesn't seem to matter. As for the bolts are you cleaning them out thoroughly? then WD40, tap in the tool with a hammer, should be good to go. Torque settings? tight as you can! There is an art to loosening tight bolts,

It involves steady pressure not incredible hulk stuff.

Possibly replace the pockets themselves, that can help.

Has anyone got any settings for these pockets. The bolts are M16. We have, yet more, problems with the hex bolts rounding off when loosening, despite regular replacements, so suspect they are being over-tightened to begin with.

Also, is there a normal configuration of left/right and straight finger teeth. Working on this machine today, I've found that the operator has substituted handed teeth all round. No straight at all.

of the top of my head I think it's around 220-240 NM, I'd need to check a manual, on the teeth point it doesn't make too much odds really on most grinders and dealing with most size stumps, normally a difference will only be noticed on big machines and large wooly stumps.

What machine is it?

On my vemeer 252 the torque setting is massive! I had to buy a 3/4 inch drive torque wrench.

And to loosen them off I needed a long bar with a scaffold pole over the end!

Changed them to yellow jackets (green teeth now) so no need to loosen the pockets, just change the tips, much better.

Agreed, the straight teeth are not vital, they clean the debris away but dont do much cutting, and you can see this by the little amount of wear they suffer compared to the others.

What machine is it?

On my vemeer 252 the torque setting is massive! I had to buy a 3/4 inch drive torque wrench.

And to loosen them off I needed a long bar with a scaffold pole over the end!

Changed them to yellow jackets (green teeth now) so no need to loosen the pockets, just change the tips, much better.

Agreed, the straight teeth are not vital, they clean the debris away but dont do much cutting, and you can see this by the little amount of wear they suffer compared to the others.

FSI S27D, similar issues with undoing using 3ft breaker. Just wondering now, after thinking about it, if the replacement bolts are a lower tensile strength.

I noticed the wheels starting to dish out, around the circumference, so wondered if this was due to the absence of the straight teeth.

How do you find the green teeth? These are the round ones that turn three times? I'm interested in how they wear, being like four times more expensive to replace. I'd go for them, but don't trust the user not to grind through rubble and stone. Sounds harsh but I know frequently teeth are renewed.

Sorry everyone else,, phone skipped to .Rupes reply. Pockets need replacing, we've just received a set from global but the holes don't line up. Someone cut two damaged pockets off before checking ( not me) so we were stuffed anyway.

Hopefully we can find someone to supply the more oval type pockets, although most suppliers seem to be supplied by global anyway.

My green teeth might be different, vermeer call them yellow jackets but and they only turn once, (so two sided). Because some teeth are further forward on the wheel than others its possible to rotate their postion before turning them to the second side, then after turning them you can rotate their position again, so you kind of get four goes with each set.

I think more expensive, because you change/turn them sooner but you get such better performance from the machine as your not waiting for total bluntness before you can be bothered to change them.

So, on site if it goes blunt it takes maybe 15 minutes to sort out using one small socket wrench.

My green teeth might be different, vermeer call them yellow jackets but and they only turn once, (so two sided). Because some teeth are further forward on the wheel than others its possible to rotate their postion before turning them to the second side, then after turning them you can rotate their position again, so you kind of get four goes with each set.

I think more expensive, because you change/turn them sooner but you get such better performance from the machine as your not waiting for total bluntness before you can be bothered to change them.

So, on site if it goes blunt it takes maybe 15 minutes to sort out using one small socket wrench.

Thanks, that's increased my understanding greatly. The green teeth, which will fit the pocket mounting holes, are fixed in a holder. the tooth is on a stalk which can be turned three time. Although reports by others indicate that in reality only one turn is practical.

The holder is in a fixed position - so every tooths at the 'leading edge'. Although performance may be better, both in grinding and down time, I think for us this system is going to be uneconomical. Simply put, our operator doesn't take enough care as to what he's cutting.

Its looks like a replacement wheel may be order, to take the available pockets.

Thanks again Rupe:thumbup1:

There are a few questions here & just to clarify, 16mm is a large diameter bolt as ours are only 1/2" (13mm). The torque is 125-150 lbs/ft. Overtightening the bolts is as bad as not tight enough as the bolts will stretch & weaken.

On the FSI grinders the bolt spacing on the pockets is not industry std, the spacing is larger meaning you can only purchase the parts from Denmark & you cannot swap between Finger, Green or other unless FSI supply.

The Greenteeth can be turned Three times without touching the pocket (pics attached).

IMG01600-20120424-1546.jpg.775f8b861f2c8d8a9be8b2b369e5a507.jpg

59766426e6919_Greentooth2.jpg.f43d385dd979e3e806ac35ffce2f1bbf.jpg

IMG_0704.jpg.423a3f1c67d73250c3b0ce12ab5475a9.jpg

IMG_0703.jpg.39b4025c2966d98a6fb52fb83e094b50.jpg

IMG_0701.jpg.82a1e59650166d09df6b3e7b04a19e3d.jpg