Tech cert (best books)

Georgemo93

Hi there,

Can anyone recommend good books for background reading that come in handy when studying for tech cert. can't find a reading list or recommended books anywhere.

Thanks George

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Tree roots in the built environment. Very well written in my opinion, and quite all encompassing.

Good starter book:thumbup1:

I passed last year or the year before and I haven't got a tenth of those books. Not even a twentieth. That lot would cost you about £2,000. If you could get them, some of them I suspect are out of print.

If i get a second I will think of which books I found most useful. We were given a reading list that was a good bit shorter and was more than enough.

I passed last year or the year before and I haven't got a tenth of those books. Not even a twentieth. That lot would cost you about £2,000. If you could get them, some of them I suspect are out of print.

If i get a second I will think of which books I found most useful. We were given a reading list that was a good bit shorter and was more than enough.

Get me that lot for two thousand and I'll give you £500 for your trouble:001_tt2:

For the .op. other than any already mentioned, anything by; shigo, mattheck, Oliver rackham, the dso series which are mainly out of print, The blue book for planning and tpo's. Mynors law of trees, forests and hedges- which is good but probably a luxury

In the end I concluded that if I had taken in and remembered all that I had been told in lectures I would have had enough to pass. However, I went on the basis that if I forgot half of what I was told I needed to try and learn twice as much as I needed.

A lot of the stuff that was really useful wasn't on reading lists it was on websites. I had to put together my own 'book' of pests and diseases. My first bit of advice is only to learn those parts of books and publications you need for the syllabus. For example, I got out my AA book of fungi and marked every page which covered a species that is on hte syllabus. The rest of the pages/species I wouldn't even look at. The good thing about the P&D 'book' was that everything in it was needed, no more no less.

The good thing about the P&D 'book' was that everything in it was needed, no more no less.

That's a good idea, its so easy to get buried under the multitude of pests, diseases and fungi.

Of all the books I've collected over the years it's surprising how few I, personally, regularly reference. The Research for Amenity Trees series are invaluable and are long overdue for a reprint/revision.

Hi George,

I can recommend this book ([ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trees-Management-Cultivation-Biology-Comprehensive/dp/1861268858/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1364645358&sr=1-1]Trees: Their Use, Management, Cultivation and Biology, A Comprehensive Guide: Amazon.co.uk: Bob Watson: Books[/ame]) as a good general study guide about trees. It covers lots of aspects of arboriculture although none in very great detail, but I have found it to be a useful reference and good value.

Paul