Forestry as a career

Dan17

thanks for all the advice im looking at applying to go to sparsholt as it is close to my home and lots of people i have spoken seem to rate it highly. pretty much all the jobs i have wanted to do have been outdoors and more of a lifestyle than a job so am happy to work long hours and see a job done properly and be able to say i did that. thanks again dan

You keep that work ethic and live up to it, you'll soon find someone to help and find work for you. It's worth the effort to find a job that you enjoy doing, good luck :thumbup1:

Go to the best college and get as much training as you can while you are young enough to get it for free, get your tickets and do as much work as you can even if its voluntary as nothing beats on the job experience. Enjoy the experience. Don't expect to become rich from it but be prepared for it to become a way of life. make sure you are waterproof!

I went to Aberdeen Uni and guys there who go through the forestry course are pretty much guaranteed work after (not so for us plant biologists, unfortunately). Fantastic course!

I only know one guy doing further study, they all just went 'up the ladder' so to speak; GIS mapping, managing woodlands or directing/advising. That said, you've gotta have smarts and, ideally, experience behind you to do the course. Best of luck at Sparsholt Dan, and think about Uni in a few years time if you want a cushier job than running a forwarder all day :laugh1:

It should be said that like fishing, to some significant extent, forestry is a way of life rather than a job.

Agree totally. I left the woods for a couple of years and very quickly realised I shouldn't have and made my way back again.

If I was you, I'd forget college for the time being. If you want to get a start in the woods, go do CS30 and 31 first and get some experience. A college qualification is all well and good but is no good without the saw time to back it up.

Then, if you wanted to go more into the management roles, college could be a useful tool.

The fact you've already spent some time in the woods and haven't been put off is a good start - a lot of people have an idea in there heads of what to expect and find the reality very different.

You'll never get rich and you'll ache places you never thought you could, but there's no job comes close to being out on a good site crashing down big sticks :thumbup1:

Oh to be 17!!!

Do what makes you happy just now, work hard and life will unfold infront of you and cross each bridge as it comes.

Opportunities will present themselves, follow the path that feels right.

Good luck :)

Amen to that:beerchug: