woodstove running a generator

digga

hi thought this may be of intrest to a few of you on here [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i3-w6MZP1U]My Wood Stove runs a generator - YouTube[/ame]

this guy has got some intresting videos going to look at a few more when i get time

had a look through some of his other videos very clever guy with good ideas

allso come across this guys channel [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYGKn12Weu4]The wood gas generator runs the whole farm! - YouTube[/ame]

if i ever get my own yard will look into this for trying to make use of waste that normally just goes on the bonfire could use something like the TR70 branch logger and maybe get some free electric be great for even just a 3phase genny

remember watching a program ages ago called planet mechanics with dick strawbridge

from scrapheap challenge making a woodgas powered pickup for a firm in london

just found the full episode on youtube

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNr0MvHRYnM]National Geographic Planet Mechanics - Tree Powered Car - YouTube[/ame]

anyone here ever played around with stuff like this ?

Its nothing new I'm affraid guys, the germans used it to run small trucks etc towards the end of WW2 when their fuel supplies were cut.

There is a chap not far from me has a series 2A 109 Landie with a wood gas boiler on the back, I havent seen it on the road for years but I know he still has it, it has a huge cylinder fixed to the back and if you drove through Charring Cross in it your life expectancy would be about 3 minutes, if you didn't get shot by an ARU thinking you were going to detonate it, you would be murdered by some irate motorist as the top speed is far less than a bicycle, I noticed that the chap in the video didn't engage the alternator on that genny, the energy produced may be sufficient to run the engine only, but when you start to draw power the situation changes big time.

However, when petrol runs out they're going to be a common sight.

Well Its far from rocket science Digga, there must be some doccumentation/drawings somewhere? As far as I understand there are few componets in the system and if one wants to use it in a passenger carrying application the throttle butterfly has to be retained, otherwise the engine will run flat out!

Edited by JonnyVine
Put the same word twice