When can I start??

Orchard gm

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont think they do a course in experience mate.

Get some of the above and then you might be ready. Sorry if it sounds harsh bit it is the truth.

Tickets do not make a climber.

Oh yes there is. It's just that there is no syllabus, no one tells you when the lessons start or finish or who the qualified tutors are and by the time you've realised you were on the course it's exam time.:lol::lol::lol:

Thanks for your advice everyone, I'll go into detail a bit more, I am a gardener and wanting to progress further into tree surgery. I often help a climber on the ground and he has encouraged me to get a start with the tree side of things so we can get an insurance policy together.

I am fairly competent with identifying trees etc and I know I can handle a saw safely, but I do want to advertise to do tree work so my climber friend can be groundie for me!

I live for being outside, I love tree work, but I totally respect that it takes years and years of experience to know the trade, and to me it looks like one of them trades that you never stop learning about?

What I mean when I say "when can I start" is what other courses should I do aswell as the ones I mentioned? Would it be beneficial to do all the wind blown trees, sectional felling courses etc or would I pick that up from my experienced climber friend.

Thanks for your advice again I really appreciate your time.

Just advertise and get on with any jobs you get offered that you think you can do. Dont do a windblown tree course unless your employed full time by a company that requires an employee holds a windblown tree ticket!

It wont teach you how to deal with windblown trees, its a safety certificate not an education. Get on with it! You'll learn more from your "friend" than you will on any course, and you dont need any of the CS units for your customers beniefit.

There are a lot of "shoulds" in there, that means nothing.

Then in your second section you refer to employers needing various things, thats under employment law and granted that is an actual law.

But to go and work for a client you dont have to have anything, and you dont have to have public liability, and you can work on your own if you want so you dont need employers liability either.

I suppose all these laws are the reason that ****** get stopped everyday for doing tree work???????????? Never seen it happen.

Trading standards may have somethign to say about it, but only if complaints are made and same with HSE.

oh okay never mind, I must have got it wrong . NEW Hse intervention fees are now in place and they dont make new income related rules for the fun of it , in the same way speed cameras are really there to keep speed down !!!! NOT

irrespective of the rules its all subjective, when folks are pricing out a two man team for £120 a day ,

as for some clients it seems price is king , so perhaps some are happy to say or have to say balls to the safety , quals and insurance as the price is the leveler in all things & they have bills to pay mortgages to meet and familys to feed ,

irrespective of the clients equal statutory obligations........ which is that they are equally liable in the eyes of the law, for the safety of those which they engage to carry out their service. perhaps time will tell

... I wont be contributing any further, take from what I have posted as you will ,

good luck :thumbup:

Edited by Yorkshireman

oh okay never mind, I must have got it wrong .

but when folks are putting out a two man team for £120 a day ,

its all subjective,

as for some it seems price is king any way , as it seems some clients say balls to safety and quals and insurance as the price matters irrespective of the clients equal statutory obligations........ which is that they are equally liable in the eyes of the law, for the safety of those which they engage to carry out their service

... I wont be contributing any further, take from what I have posted as you will ,

good luck :thumbup:

Im not saying its right, just saying there is no law.

Im all arb approved etc so I do believe in doing things right, always have done always will, but I'm being realistic.

HSE? Come on Rupe, keep up! :laugh1:

Exactly, and who are they? Never seen one in my life. They wont stop anyone making money using a saw unless there is an accident or a complaint.

Its only tree work, its not important, and back garden stuff on your own is no risk to anyone except yourself, and if clients are stupid to employ the services of gardeners who did CS30 last week then good luck to them.

Its relative. He sounds like its merely extending his base of knowledge and branching out (groan)

Yer that's all I really want, it's through gardening I took an interest in tree work, one day I would love to make it my full time job!

I want to work safely and properly, hence the reason I wanted to get at least some tickets! Surely I have done the right thing?

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

You've done the right thing, but there is no can or can't where advertising is concerned. Do what you want.

But it takes 3-5 years with a tree company to really learn anything. My point was that cs units are only safety Certs they are not instruction on how to do tree work.