Interesting Ash

treecreeper arb

Hello good treefolk..Ive recently been browsing through this rather interesting forum,and have been impressed,educated and inspired by some of the posts and threads.Im hoping that some of you knowledgable chaps may wish to share ideas and opinions on an interesting ash that I looked at recently.The client and others living in the locality are very keen to retain this unique specimen for as long as possible(which is a view i share completely).However,he(the client)is from the "let nature take its course"camp(where I often also reside!).In this case,though,we have a beautiful specimen,undoubtedly quite old,that has lost most of its structural integrity.I believe,that in order to prolong the lifespan of the tree,a management plan needs to be implemented.I have suggested a light crown reduction and thin,and reductions to three larger limbs in order to reduce weight.these would obviously be sensitive and if deemed necessary,be done over as long a time span as required.This would be coupled with a cobra bracing system and possibly some form of internal prop system to alleviate the possibility of inward collapse.I have pointed out the obvious soil piled up around the root zone,and suggested immediate removal.

I have seen the tree in full leaf and its crown appears full and healthy.Having visited the site many times since late summer,I have seen no fungal fruiting bodies.

The old cob barn is being renovated,and tree is approx.8 metres from the building.

I would be really interested to hear from anyone with experience in maintaining old specimens like this,and any thoughts or opinions people might have,particularly on the internal prop suggestion.Hope the photos help.Thanks all.

DSCN5375.jpg.32edff00414f15231b72919312a9938e.jpg

DSCN5369.jpg.b9bc11e1a787f1363b5cca1e3377c120.jpg

DSCN5367.jpg.e0f3a48f0c7a243e89e52c6764162504.jpg

DSCN5366.jpg.1488a1e7872576fa7fdb26620b25401d.jpg

DSCN5364.jpg.1b73cf12ac34c0bd7dc69ea81e600795.jpg

DSCN5368.jpg.aa7217d84a5a3e607f4e9060e0799140.jpg

DSCN5373.jpg.3fa43c303b8047b34771a567a35038b7.jpg

DSCN5365.jpg.5d00ee606dee0fa32d989e1b6fc268cb.jpg

DSCN5363.jpg.ab0de8457039c018efef9fce3e3c3e0c.jpg

DSCN5362.jpg.4d29014f906957c6311dad40d6d47bad.jpg

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Fantastic tree! Does the Ancient Tree Forum know about it?

Was the barn restoration subject to a planning application? If so, was a root protection area established? Not sure that pile of spoil at the base is a great idea.

Is it subject to any form of protection?

If the trunk has a good level of healthy wood, it doesn't necessarily need any work. The decision would have to be partly based on how often the space under the tree is occupied by things that wouldn't appreciate a big lump of wood landing on them...

Yes!Indeed a wondrous tree.The ancient tree forum has no knowledge of the tree,as far as I know.we could,however,rectify that.

The Barn restoration was indeed subject to planning,but as far as I am aware there was no Tree survey and there has been(sadly)no advice or restrictions on protecting surrounding trees or root zones.There is a group of elms adjacent(probably just visible to the right of the barn in some of my images)that have already suffered what I would regard as serious root damage by trenching to within 1 metre of the tree..but thats another thread!!

I have suggested that the owner of the spoil pile remove it ASAP,and explained its potentially negative effects.

The tree is not subject to any form of protection..should I suggest the local T.O take a look?I certainly believe it to be worthy of tpo status.

The barn is being restored as we speak.Believe it or not,the boundary between the barn,and a second property,runs straight through the tree,so there are several concerned parties.

As you can see from the picture,there is very little of the origonal stem left,but what is there is sound.

I am all for minimalist intervention,but also wish to prolong the life span of said tree.

There are some excellent threads on here about the restoration of old pollards and working on trees that are generally clinging on by their fingernails. You've probably already read them, but it you haven't, seek them out.

Is the tree visible from a public place? If not, it might not pass the amenity part of the TPO test. Talk to the TO anyway, but don't tread on the toes of the tree owner. I know it's a bit late, but he will be able to advise on RPAs (root protection areas) etc.

It could be argued that the LPA has been negligent in its duties by granting consent without considering the impact on trees...if a report wasn't submitted then they can't have assessed the impact.

There are some excellent threads on here about the restoration of old pollards and working on trees that are generally clinging on by their fingernails. You've probably already read them, but it you haven't, seek them out.

Is the tree visible from a public place? If not, it might not pass the amenity part of the TPO test. Talk to the TO anyway, but don't tread on the toes of the tree owner. I know it's a bit late, but he will be able to advise on RPAs (root protection areas) etc.

It could be argued that the LPA has been negligent in its duties by granting consent without considering the impact on trees...if a report wasn't submitted then they can't have assessed the impact.

agree, notonly that but life expectancy would be a"grey area" when applying TPO guidance,or values.

lovely tree, so so very very worth preserving:thumbup1:

There is no body language to suggest anything at this time is needed, if I may I will edit the images a bit and show you what I mean by this

I'd like to see that Tony :thumbup1: we have some similar ash dotted about our place, not as extreme as this but similar principles would apply.... :001_smile: